Allow users to view an Under Construction page

(markymark) #1

Matrix Version:
From time to time I need people to review a page that is still ‘Under Constructions’. At the moment the only way seems to be to give them edit rights when all I want them to do is read and check the content. Is there another option?

(Tim Trodd) #2

There might be a clever way with triggers. But what we do is have one simple edit user called test-user or something similar. We then set it to read only for those specific pages. This allows them to view them but not edit them. We then give out those login details to the people who need to view the pages and once that section is complete, we change the password for security reasons and remove the read access to it.

We haven’t had any problems doing the above.

(Bart Banda) #3

You could make them Safe Edit users and do a trigger or something that takes them out of /_edit if they try and access that. All they need to preview a page that is Under Construction is to have write access to it. But if they can’t access /_admin or /_edit they you can be sure that they can’t edit them either.

(Douglas (@finnatic at @waikato)) #4

If you’re a squiz client with squizmap access, there have been a couple of ideas there, pending attention by Squiz e.g. _preview suffix allowing ‘read permission’ preview functionality

(markymark) #5

So I think I’m going to give Edit access just for the page which the person will be reviewing. It is not ideal, as they will have the ability to change the content, but it appears to be the simplest solution on offer. It’s a shame there isn’t a reviewer/approver permission similar to SharePoint where the person can have read only access to a page.

Thank-you to everyone above for your ideas.

We have a user set up with read access, that as long as they staff they should be able to access

Few months old but I thought I will share our approach if that will help anyone with the same issues.

We have a previewer user (not simple edit user, just user type of user) which have read and admin access. Preview user need to login before preview the page. As this user doesn’t have write permission, ~/_edit won’t let him/her in. So we need to use ~/_login when we send the preview URL.

EDIT: Made clear that the preview user needs to be a user type of user, not simple edit user