CLI install on Debian

(Gavin Tapp) #1

I've just jotted down the process I followed when installing Matrix on a Debian system recently. It took a while to get all the requirements installed on the server - so having the apt-get install line itself is a massive time saver.

I'd be interested in comments from sysadmin types to improve these instructions, as there may be extra packages I'm installing that aren't needed with 3.26+ versions. Also - what extra steps would you take to secure the server?

http://www.solonode.com/articles/install-commands-for-mysource-matrix-on-debian

(Chris Smith) #2

[quote]
I've just jotted down the process I followed when installing Matrix on a Debian system recently. It took a while to get all the requirements installed on the server - so having the apt-get install line itself is a massive time saver.

I'd be interested in comments from sysadmin types to improve these instructions, as there may be extra packages I'm installing that aren't needed with 3.26+ versions. Also - what extra steps would you take to secure the server?

http://wingedmonkey.blogspot.com/2010/02/install-commands-for-mysource-matrix-on.html

[/quote]

Hi,

Looks ok. There is a script to help you check you have your requirements installed:

$ php install/check_requirements.php /path/to/matrix

it'll show a list of missing requirements (eg php-pgsql isn't installed if you're using postgresql) and optional-extras (like htmltidy).

(Gavin Tapp) #3

[quote]
Looks ok. There is a script to help you check you have your requirements installed:

$ php install/check_requirements.php /path/to/matrix

[/quote]

Cool - thanks for looking over it.

I mention that script toward the end of the page … though, granted its pretty long page :slight_smile:

(Chris Smith) #4

[quote]
Cool - thanks for looking over it.

I mention that script toward the end of the page … though, granted its pretty long page :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Good point, I missed you mentioned that. I saw the "And again I had to fiddle for an hour or two to get all the dependancies sorted." at the top and thought I'd mention the script.

Actually - noted a couple of things:

pear install pear/MDB2#pgsql

You don't need that - matrix uses pdo to talk to the database.

You don't need to install matrix in /home/websites, you can install it in /var/www/matrix, just adjust the paths as necessary. Might be worth a note in there.

Also your website doesn't like the apache settings - they aren't showing properly (probably being parsed as html comments).

(Gavin Tapp) #5

Ok - I’ve just tried another install using similar steps on Ubuntu. Matrix 3.26.1

I may have tripped over something obvious - but why does the back end look like this? [attachment=444:Screen shot 2010-02-10 at 2.08.54 AM.png]

And why is the login page screwy?[attachment=445:Screen shot 2010-02-10 at 2.57.15 AM.png]

I’ve tried erasing 3.26.1 and doing a fresh install of 3.26.0 which doesn’t have these problems. 2nd time installing 3.26.1 shows the same issue
Screen shot 2010-02-10 at 2.08.54 AM.png (114 KB)
Screen shot 2010-02-10 at 2.57.15 AM.png (22.4 KB)

(Aleks Bochniak) #6

Check your file permissions for __data directories

(Gavin Tapp) #7

[quote]
Check your file permissions for __data directories

[/quote]

Well spotted - that was the problem. Thank you

(Tbaatar) #8

Hi,

I followed winged_monkey steps for installing markdown and markdownify by copying it into the /usr/share/php/ folder and updated the Markdown Tools path in External Tools Configuration and it totally borked the External Tools Configuration.

Did I miss something?

(Gavin Tapp) #9

[quote]
Hi,

I followed winged_monkey steps for installing markdown and markdownify by copying it into the /usr/share/php/ folder and updated the Markdown Tools path in External Tools Configuration and it totally borked the External Tools Configuration.

Did I miss something?

[/quote]

Sorry - that part of my instructions is a bit vague. You may need to edit /home/websites/mysource_matrix/data/private/conf/main.inc and disable markdownify by resetting its value to nothing - this will get your system running again in the short term.

What path did you enter for markdownify? Was it to a php file or a directory?

If you fix it - let me know and I will update my instructions…

(Tbaatar) #10

Hi,

I placed the markdown.php and markdownify.php inside the /usr/share/php/ directory, so the location was;

/usr/share/php/markdown.php

/usr/share/php/markdownify.php

In Matrix I set the following (from the admin screen, not sftp)

define('SQ_TOOL_MARKDOWN_PATH', '/usr/share/php/markdown.php');

define('SQ_TOOL_MARKDOWNIFY_PATH', '/usr/share/php/markdownify.php');

(Tom Chadwin) #11

This worked really well for me, though I also had to do the following:

apt-get install sendmail-bin

pear install I18N_UnicodeNormalizer

I only followed it as far as logging into /_admin, so I cannot comment on the markdown issues above.

Thanks for the really useful info

Tom

(Benjamin Pearson) #12

[quote]
pear install I18N_UnicodeNormalizer

[/quote]

This is only a requirement for 3.28.0 and up, these instructions were written using 3.26.x. These requirements are listed at: http://matrix.squiz.net/resources/requirements