Creating a copy of an existing installation

(Maksim Lin) #1

Hi,

I have a question regarding how to best proceed to setup a new test server so that its as similar as possible to our production one.

Please note that our production server is v3.24.2 and I need to replicate this on the test server.

I have completed all the installation prep work for matrix on the new test server upto the point of untarring the tar ball but have not yet run step_01 etc, as I want to know how to best proceed to copy across the config files, db data and content files from our prod server onto a fresh install?

What I am unclear about is: do I need to continue following the installation instructions listed on the matrix downloads website and then follow the procedure documented in the manual?

Or is there a better way to transfer an existing install directly onto the new server?

thanks,

Maks.

(Dan Simmons) #2

You're on the right track. Just create a backup of your production system using the backup.sh script in the scripts directory, then copy the resulting tarball to your test server and restore it. Instructions are here under "Restoring From a Backup File":
http://matrix.squiz.net/resources/upgrading/backup-management