How to avoid duplicate metadata for asset listing?

(Tbaatar) #1

Hi,

I'm trying to optimize our website, and one of the things that Google Webmaster Tools does not like is the multi-page asset listing because all pages contain the same metadata description and tag.

Is there a keyword that I can use to insert unique value in the metadata for every page, like page number like this:

http://www.interpub.co.uk/photos  (metadata description: Interpub photos)

http://www.interpub.co.uk/photos/?result_8888_result_page=2 (metadata description: Interpub photos - page 2)

http://www.interpub.co.uk/photos/?result_8888_result_page=3 (metadata description: Interpub photos - page 3)

http://www.interpub.co.uk/photos/?result_8888_result_page=4 (metadata description: Interpub photos - page 4)

Many thanks,

Tuguldur

(Bart Banda) #2

Hi Tuguldur,

there isn't any straight forward way to achieve what you are trying to do. I'm assuming that you are outputting your metadata into the parse file via a metadata design area?

One way to print the page numbers dynamically based on the page you are on, is to use the %globals_get_XXX% keyword.

So for example using the following: "Interub photos - page %globals_get_result_8888_result_page%", would print the page number dynamically from what's in the URL.

You might want to print this using a design customisation so that it only prints that value for that section. 

Hopefully that helps or gives you some ideas.

(Tbaatar) #3

Many thanks Bart, this is exactly what I wanted to achieve.

Is there any other dynamic keyword that can be used?

(Nic Hubbard) #4

Many thanks Bart, this is exactly what I wanted to achieve.

Is there any other dynamic keyword that can be used?

Or you could just throw in the %globals_random% keyword. :)

(Tbaatar) #5

Random could also work :)

(Bart Banda) #6

You could also use %globals_server_QUERY_STRING% (http://manuals.matrix.squizsuite.net/keyword-replacements/chapters/global-keywords#Server-Variable)

(Tbaatar) #7

Hi Bart,

Is it possible to use keyword modifier to dynamically serve the asset id of the current page? within the this keyword: %globals_get_result_8888_result_page%

I looked into the keyword modifier manual and can't see anything that could work.

I have over 10 asset listing and instead of creating individual customization, I want to create a single customization with dynamic asset id.

(Bart Banda) #8

I don't think so, as you are not viewing each page itself, on each page result, you are still viewing your asset listing. You would need to print your asset listing again wherever you want to print the asset ID. Or move it to the right place in the DOM with JS, but seeing as you are doing it for SEO purposes, that's probably not an option.

(Tbaatar) #9

Yes, this is purely for SEO. We have thousands of reviews on the website and would like these crawled by Google.

I was hoping this sort of keyword modifier would work but it doesn't.

%globals_get_result_888_result_page^replace_keywords:eq:888:{asset_assetid}%

I'm hoping someone will come along with undocumented keyword I could use : )

(Tbaatar) #10

Just wanted to bring this thread back up again because Google Analytics/SEOmoz is reporting we have over 500 duplicate title/content and all of which is caused by 50 asset listing used for reviews, articles, events and photos.

Surely this needs to be looked at for future development of the CMS if its going to comply as being semantic and search friendly CMS.

Given its biggest selling point is the Asset Listing engine, its pretty much unavoidable to use it for any dynamic content but you fall into a SEO trap.

We can't create 50 design customization or design files to create a keyword to display page number/title to make it SEO friendly as its not sustainable.

Is this something most web managers here simply ignore with blind eye or are we implementing things incorrectly?

PS: Seeing all these Red Critical Error message from Analytic is so depressing, and sorry for the rant.

Tuguldur

(Bart Banda) #11

Not sure how you are actually presenting each of these reviews, articles and events, but when viewing each of these as their own asset, you shouldn't have to view it via an asset listing, they should all still have their own URL and page title right? The asset listing should just be used to list links to all of them. 

I haven't had anyone else have this problem with SEO before and I know of some sites with quite a few asset listings. 

However, I'm still sure that you should be able to still print a proper page title with some clever keyword modification based on the URL.

So for example, you could have 1 customisation where you add this part to the title tag: "Page %globals_server_QUERY_STRING^replace:.*_result_page=:^replace:&.*:%. You could even do it with a conditional tag that sits around it all as well where you wouldn't need to use a customisation, but for the sake of keeping it simple to implement, a customisation would probably be ideal.

Hope that helps. 

(Bart Banda) #12

Actually, to just print the part "Page - 2" without using a customisation, you could try using the following keyword:

%globals_server_QUERY_STRING^contains:_result_page:Page - : %%globals_server_QUERY_STRING^replace:.*_result_page=:^replace:&.*:%

(Nic Hubbard) #13

Not sure how you are actually presenting each of these reviews, articles and events, but when viewing each of these as their own asset, you shouldn't have to view it via an asset listing, they should all still have their own URL and page title right? The asset listing should just be used to list links to all of them. 

I haven't had anyone else have this problem with SEO before and I know of some sites with quite a few asset listings. 

I think that he is meaning when you go to page 2, page 3, etc of an asset listing, all of which would have the same title.

(Tbaatar) #14

Perfect Bart!

I tried daisy chaining with the keyword modifiers without any success.

As Nic said this is specifically for printing the page numbers into the Metadata Description and Page Title for asset listing next/prev pages. 

Google indexes these pages, and want search engines to crawl these pages because of our user generated reviews and events.

Many thanks for the help, I will report back if this helps.

(: Steve jonas) #15

hello,
keyword that you can use to insert unique value in the metadata for every page. you might generate and insert a unique value into the metadata using PHP:

<?php // Generate a unique page number or identifier $page_number = generate_unique_page_number(); // Output the metadata with the unique page number echo ''; // Function to generate a unique page number (you can customize this function as needed) function generate_unique_page_number() { // Generate a unique identifier using a timestamp or other method $unique_id = uniqid(); // Return the unique identifier return $unique_id; This code will help you metadata using php and this will help you metadata dezscription and tag .