How to Prevent Asset ID incrementing when Submission Log is Disabled?

(Tbaatar) #1

Matrix Version:

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to stop Matrix from increasing the Asset ID when submission logging is disabled for custom forms?

Presumably when the submission log is disabled there is no entry into the database, so why does the asset number increase?

Thanks.
TB

(David Schoen) #2

The assetid will increase from any asset being created anywhere in the instance. If you set ā€œLog Submissionsā€ to ā€œNoā€ then the form wonā€™t create any form submission assets, but if thereā€™s any custom actions or triggers that create assets based on the form submitting then the asset id will still increase in response to the form being submitted.

(Tbaatar) #3

Hi David,

The form does not create any instance on Matrix, and the Log Submissions is turned off. Weā€™ve setup ā€˜Call Rest Resourceā€™ Submission Action that sends the form data to AutoPilot via CURL API.

Would this count as instance? I canā€™t see anything else that is creating an instance on the system.

Thanks.
TB

(David Schoen) #4

Hi, By ā€œInstanceā€ I meant the entire install of Matrix.

Are you sure your asset ids increasing has anything to do with form submissions?

(Tbaatar) #5

Hi David,

I meant the form does not create any instances (trigger action or any assets) in the system and there are no triggers. I have tested it on a live system (matrix 5.4.3.1) and also on my private Matrix build (v5.4.0.0) which is just a barebone build with no interaction internally or the outside world.

Here is an example with submission log turned off.

• Test folder #1047 created to start the id counter
  • Test 2 folder #1049 created after the form submission
  • Another test #1050 created after Test 2 folder
  • #Another test 2 after form submission

As you can see each time after a form submission the Asset ID is being skipped in the folder creation which means somewhere in the system or in the database it is logging the asset ID or there is some sort of bug.

(Marcus Fong) #6

Can you view assets #1048 or #1051 using the Quick Search bar? Or do the Matrix logs mention those asset IDs at all?

(Tbaatar) #7

Hi Marcus,

Matrix search does not find the asset IDā€™s #1048 and #1051. I did another test and here is the submission logs highlighted in red:

So with submission turned off, it looks like the form submission does get created in the database, and then it gets Trashed?
Is there anything I need to do apart from turning submission log off?

Thanks.
Tuguldur

(Bart Banda) #8

I can replicate in the latest version of 5.4.5.0. I think that form submission assets are created temporarily if you have something like multi step form, but seems like the asset ID is incrementing even with single step forms and form submissions turned off. There might be an underlying reason as to why this is, but Iā€™ll create a Squizmap ticket to investigate further.

(Tbaatar) #9

Hi Bart,

Thanks for the update. Please keep us updated.

Thanks.
Tuguldur

(Tbaatar) #10

Hi Bart,

Any feedback from the Squizmap ticket? sorry I donā€™t have access to this so I canā€™t see it.

Thanks,
Tuguldur

(Bart Banda) #11

No update yet, itā€™s a pretty low priority item so probably wonā€™t get looked at for a while.

Whatā€™s the main issue with the asset ID incrementing by the way?

(Tbaatar) #12

Hi Bart,

Apart from typing extra digit once the ID counter reachs 6 digits, I want to make sure data is not being captured and saved somewhere.

Thanks,
Tuguldur

(Bart Banda) #13

You will get to this point regardless though right?

Not sure what this means?

(Tbaatar) #14

We will eventually get to the 6 digit mark in about 2-3 years time. However now we know the system increments the IDā€™s it will be within the next 6-12 months.

As for the second point, we just need re-assurance that the form submission data is not logged somewhere in the system when submissions logging is turned off. Weā€™re currently working to mininize the risk of getting on the wrong side of GDPR.

Thanks.

(Bart Banda) #15

No, the data of the form submission fields isnā€™t logged anywhere in Matrix.