Incomplete form submissions - Multi page custom forms

(Ryan Archer) #1

Hi folks,

Custom multi page forms that users can save and complete later can be quite a confusing experience in Squiz Matrix (well especially in the version I am working on!)

Ok so when right clicking on the Form Contents asset we have the incomplete submissions section where we put in the custom email details on there so that in xx amount of days they get the email.

Also when you right click on 'Form Contents' and go to the Form Contents (strange UI i know...) section we have an area called 'Public User Incomplete Submission' where we can allow user to save multi page form progress. Now obviously this email gets sent the moment a user saves the incomplete form. We use the %form_submission_password% keyword replacement so that user is given a password to access and resume the form when they click on the URL in the email generated by the %return_to_form_url_latest% keyword replacement. Now this part completely makes sense.

However when I insert the %form_submission_password% keyword replacement in the incomplete submissions section of the asset - it will not display anything in the email that is generated after a set number of days and also when clicking on the link, it's publicly accessable and does not require a password?

Is this all the way it is supposed to work? If so, why does it not require a password and why isn't the keyword replacement for the password not being printed in the email?

I am using Squiz Matrix version 4.18.4.

Thanks in advance.

(Nic Hubbard) #2

Not sure what that keyword was intended for, but I do know that you can never print out a password in plain text from Matrix. That would be very bad security.

(Bart Banda) #3

I've never used the password keyword for this and just relied on the unique email link that gets sent. The link in your email that the user clicks on should have a unique query string appended to it right? That would be the unique identifier and validation technique to confirm that the user opening the submission is the right one. 

(Ryan Archer) #4

Yeah it's all good. I was confused about the different types of emails that get sent out. One puts out the password and the other does not.

Just took the keyword out of the one that does not print and presto, it's all good.

(Paul Duffield) #5

I had a similar issue, but found that if I shut my browser down completely, then the password prompt would display when the email return link was clicked on. However, if the browser is not shut down completely, then the link would bypass the password prompt and return directly to the form.

(Paul Duffield) #6

What I have found now though, is that the form does not submit on the last page always.

It is a multi page form (5 pages) with 67 odd questions. Allowing users to return with a password to complete the form in later sittings is great, however, I find that after taking 3 or 4 sessions to complete the form (in testing) it does not submit on the last page, yet all mandatory fields have been completed and no error messages are displaying on any of the five pages.

(Paul Duffield) #7

I don’t believe this is a caching issue. What has happened is that I had an email field on the second page of our multi page form (in section two of our form). I then created a new email field in section 1 of our form and used it on our first page of our form. After this I deleted the first email field, which was mandatory. Ever since doing this the form will not submit, yet I cannot return to the deleted field to change it to optional. It’s as if the form is still wanting a mandatory response to a field that has been deleted from it. Anyone else ever experienced this?

(Paul Duffield) #8

Okay, issue resolved. Seems to have been a caching issue with the deleted asset. Works fine this morning.

(Paul Duffield) #9

Okay, I’m going to add some more to this in case anyone else has the same issue. We continued to have our multi page custom form submit sometimes but not others. After checking the ERROR LOG in the LOG MANAGER it turns out that Matrix was rejecting attachments that had the same name (web path issue). We were testing using the same attachments at times and so these were not submitting (although this did not show in the error keyword).

So after deleting attachments from our submission attachment folder, this has resolved the issue.

However, it does raise the issue of two external clients submitting seperate documents with the same name, especially given we are requesting their CV. The chances of two differenct clients submitting resume.doc is fairly good.

So is there an easy way to auto rename a clients attachment if it has the same name as a previously submitted attachment? A setting in Matrix, rather than having to have some special script crafted?

(Bart Banda) #10

There is a setting on the file upload field to rename files if the file name clashes, are you using that?

(Paul Duffield) #11

Thanks Bart, I just became aware of this this morning through a fellow colleague. Thanks for getting back to me.
This will solve our issue.
:slight_smile:
Cheers
Paul.