Installation Problem

(Peter Sheppard) #21

Have just replied to that thread with some info which may be of help.

(Duds) #22

I set up another VM and attempted another install from scratch… I get a bit further but Step 3 still won't complete.

Now I get a SYS0087… which suggests the Root user ( Asset #12 ) doesn't exist. It trips up on line 365 of install/install.inc when it tries to set the current user to root to continue running the install script.

Could there be there some earlier stage where the root asset has not been created? Can I "trick" it by doing this manually? How could I tell if the root asset actually exists?

(Chris Smith) #23

[quote]
I set up another VM and attempted another install from scratch… I get a bit further but Step 3 still won't complete.

Now I get a SYS0087… which suggests the Root user ( Asset #12 ) doesn't exist. It trips up on line 365 of install/install.inc when it tries to set the current user to root to continue running the install script.

Could there be there some earlier stage where the root asset has not been created? Can I "trick" it by doing this manually? How could I tell if the root asset actually exists?

[/quote]

Are you missing any requirements?

php install/check_requirements.php /path/to/matrix

What does that output ?

(Duds) #24

Hi Chris.

Here's the output. On the face of it the stff that's missing looks optional, and what's missing doesn't look like the sort of thing that would trip up the install at such a low level ( but I may be mistaken :wink: ).

I'm not seeing pdftohtml or later version of tidy in the normal repos… may have to build my own RPM's of these… a bit surprising for such a distro :blink: .

The following requirements or suggestions are made:

These php extensions are suggested by the core package
    --------------------
        memcache - you only need to install this module if you plan on using memcache for caching or locking.
        oci8 - you only need to install this module if you are going to use an Oracle database.

These external programs are required by the web_services/rest package
    --------------------
        js - This is used by Page REST Resource JS Asset to perform JS operations on the Response Body. Will use SpiderMonkey or Rhino Package.

These external programs are required by the funnelback package
    --------------------
        padre-iw - Missing funnelback binaries

These external programs are required by the squid package
    --------------------
        squidclient

These external programs are suggested by the search package
    --------------------
        antiword - this is used to extract text from word documents uploaded to your system.

These external programs are suggested by the core package
    --------------------
        clamscan - check file uploads for viruses before they are saved to your system.
        fpscan - check file uploads for viruses before they are saved to your system. Please note that f-prot is a commercial product.

These external programs are found, but out of date for the search package
    --------------------
        pdftohtml - this is used to extract text from pdfs uploaded to your system. (Found version 0.12.0 but require at least 0.36)

These external programs are found, but out of date for the core package
    --------------------
        tidy (Found version 31 October 2006 but require at least 14 June 2007)

These external php scripts are suggested by the core package
    --------------------
        JFIF.php - used to extract metadata from jpeg and other image types. This is provided by the "JPEG Metadata Toolkit". (only the php include_path was checked, if it is not in one of those paths the file has not been found)
        getid3.php - used to extract metadata from mp3 and other music files. This is provided by http://www.getid3.org/. (only the php include_path was checked, if it is not in one of those paths the file has not been found)
        markdown.php - allows users to use a simplified mark up language instead of needing to know HTML. This is provided by http://michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/. (only the php include_path was checked, if it is not in one of those paths the file has not been found)
        markdownify.php - allows users to use a simplified mark up language instead of needing to know HTML. This is provided by http://sourceforge.net/projects/markdownify/. (only the php include_path was checked, if it is not in one of those paths the file has not been found)
        ogg.class.php - provides OGG Metadata extraction for Video File assets. This is provided by http://opensource.grisambre.net/ogg/. (only the php include_path was checked, if it is not in one of those paths the file has not been found)

(Benjamin Pearson) #25

A missing root user means either step 03 failed before or a previous step failed for some reason. Try using a clean database/ filesystem and take node of any error messages. Also it might worth checking the file permissions (the user running the steps should have access to the files in the data dir).

Hope that helps

(Duds) #26

[quote]
A missing root user means either step 03 failed before or a previous step failed for some reason. Try using a clean database/ filesystem and take node of any error messages. Also it might worth checking the file permissions (the user running the steps should have access to the files in the data dir).

Hope that helps

[/quote]

No errors reported from step 2. Step 3 has failed before… in fact every time at the same point. Does this mean if it has failed once you have to delete the file system and DB every time and re-try? :blink:

According to the installation guide, root account is created in step 3. Is this incorrect?

I’ll try the clean file system & drop / recreate the database… but as this is my third attempt at a clean build and this error has got it every time, I doubt that will fix it.

Here’s what I get toward the end of step 3:

+------------------------------------------------------+
    | MySource Warning                                     |
    |------------------------------------------------------|
    | Asset #12 does not exist [SYS0087]                   |
    +------------------------------------------------------+
    +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | PHP Error                                                                                                                                                    |
    |--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    | Argument 1 passed to MySource::setCurrentUser() must be an instance of User, null given, called in [SYSTEM_ROOT]/install/install.inc on line 365 and defined |
    +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

(Benjamin Pearson) #27

[quote]

According to the installation guide, root account is created in step 3. Is this incorrect?

[/quote]

It does get created in Step 3 but early on, if it does not get created indicates a problem somewhere else in the step or a possibly a previous step (in general).

Maybe check the file permissions on the data directory, or if there was an error in step 3 and it just kept going?

(Duds) #28

[quote]
It does get created in Step 3 but early on, if it does not get created indicates a problem somewhere else in the step or a possibly a previous step (in general).

Maybe check the file permissions on the data directory, or if there was an error in step 3 and it just kept going?

[/quote]

Done. And fresh mysource_matrix/ dir created with fresh unzipped install file tarball. Database dropped, recreated, permissions granted.

It's actually worse now… fails at step2 which used to be no problem. Here's a dump…

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'DALException' with message 'SQLSTATE[42P01]: Undefined table: 7 ERROR:  relation "sq_ast_typ" does not exist
    LINE 2:     FROM sq_ast_typ
                 ^' in /srv/www/matrix/mysource_matrix/core/lib/DAL/DAL.inc:658
    Stack trace:
    #0 /srv/www/matrix/mysource_matrix/core/lib/DAL/DAL.inc(943): DAL::executePdoAssoc(Object(PDOStatement), NULL)
    #1 /srv/www/matrix/mysource_matrix/core/include/asset_manager.inc(152): DAL::executeSqlAssoc('SELECT type_cod...')
    #2 /srv/www/matrix/mysource_matrix/core/include/asset_manager.inc(121): Asset_Manager->getAssetTypes()
    #3 /srv/www/matrix/mysource_matrix/core/include/asset_manager.inc(87): Asset_Manager->_loadAssetTypes()
    #4 /srv/www/matrix/mysource_matrix/core/include/mysource.inc(226): Asset_Manager->Asset_Manager()
    #5 /srv/www/matrix/mysource_matrix/core/include/init.inc(243): MySource->init()
    #6 /srv/www/matrix/mysource_matrix/install/step_02.php(57): require_once('/srv/www/matrix...')
    #7 {main}
      thrown in /srv/www/matrix/mysource_matrix/core/lib/DAL/DAL.inc on line 658

So we have actually gone backwards after 5 days. I probably should have taken my own advice and barred it after 3 days, but now it's personal. :angry:

(Benjamin Pearson) #29

[quote]
Done. And fresh mysource_matrix/ dir created with fresh unzipped install file tarball. Database dropped, recreated, permissions granted.

[/quote]

Dumb question but did you create the language for the database?

(Duds) #30

Yep.

But just to check I ran the command again:

createlang -U postgres plpgsql mysource_matrix

createlang: language "plpgsql" is already installed in database "mysource_matrix"

Haven't looked at it in a few days… starting to consider looking at ASP.Net solutions as an alternative. Don't get me wrong… after working with it for 4 years I know that if you can get Matrix going it's superior. I just don't think in this case, that's likely within a timeframe I consider viable. :frowning:

(Nic Hubbard) #31

Go run it on Debian and you can have it up and running in 15 min. :slight_smile: No lie.

(Peter Sheppard) #32

Ditto for Centos 5. At least you know what you're getting!

(Duds) #33

“MySource Matrix is designed to run on a Linux web server, running Apache, PHP and PostgreSQL (all open source software).”

http://matrix.squiz.net/evaluations/what-is-matrix

There’s no mention of what it won’t run on. I think restricting the distro and making that the customer’s problem is a strategy less likely to succeed than making the install robust enough to work on more (any) distro(s). My $0.02. :slight_smile: