Installing Matrix on Amazon Cloud account?

(Mfrost) #1

Hi there,

I'm tryingt o figure out a low/no-cost way to get to grips with Matrix. My own server is running live sites within cpanel accounts and I tried and failed to get Matrix installed within a Cpanel account. I was wondering if there is a relatively easy way to install the image onto my Amazon EC2 account? Or are there cheap hosts out there with Matrix installed?

thanks!

(Duncan Robertson) #2

Hey there Erasmus, I've been really enjoying using Rackspace Cloud to host MSM / SM instances. You can get a running install for under £8 pcm which is a good deal for just getting to grips with it. Alternatively you could run a local instance with the VM. I know Squiz are going to have a Cloud hosting option - this might be a good option for you too - as you'd need to install Matrix from scratch on Rackspace. Hope this helps and good luck!

(Mfrost) #3

[quote]
Hey there Erasmus, I've been really enjoying using Rackspace Cloud to host MSM / SM instances. You can get a running install for under £8 pcm which is a good deal for just getting to grips with it. Alternatively you could run a local instance with the VM. I know Squiz are going to have a Cloud hosting option - this might be a good option for you too - as you'd need to install Matrix from scratch on Rackspace. Hope this helps and good luck!

[/quote]

Thanks Duncan! Did you install from scratch or use the image?

(Dan Simmons) #4

There are some good articles here on how to migrate servers between cloud providers:
http://articles.slicehost.com/2011/2/4/migrating-a-linux-server-from-the-command-line-preparing-the-servers

http://articles.slicehost.com/2011/2/4/migrating-a-linux-server-from-the-command-line-running-the-sync

http://www.619cloud.com/blog/migrate-linux-servers-across-cloud-providers/

The same principal exists here. You've got Matrix within a VM (Debian Lenny) and you should be able to move that to another provider (eg. Rackspace Cloud) using the methods in the articles above.

If you give this a go it would be good to post your results here as I don't know if many have had a go at this yet. :slight_smile:

(Duncan Robertson) #5

[quote]
Thanks Duncan! Did you install from scratch or use the image?

[/quote]

From scratch. Hosting and running the VM image is past me - not from the lack of trying.

(Mitchell Essex) #6

I have used a CentOS image (CentOS 5.5 LAMP install) and installed matrix on a small amazon instance. No dramas as people say just make sure you have all the required software installed. I probably had to install postgres and maybe some of the PEAR packages but otherwise all pretty simple.

(Mfrost) #7

What size do you recommend to get started…

(Aleks Bochniak) #8

[quote]
What size do you recommend to get started…

[/quote]

as big as you can afford

(Mfrost) #9

will amazon's smallest config (Micro or small?), or rackspace's smallest config handle Matrix?

(Duncan Robertson) #10

[quote]
as big as you can afford

[/quote]

TRUE STORY.

(Duncan Robertson) #11

[quote]
will amazon's smallest config (Micro or small?), or rackspace's smallest config handle Matrix?

[/quote]

The smallest instance on Rackspace is 256MB which will run a 'slowish' version of matrix. The 512MB (next one up) has successfully run a number of lower traffic sites for me (circa 700 visits a day - without caching). So it's suitable for basic sites and medium sites with some caching. Similarly, the backend doesn't lag on the 512MB one. That costs about £15 pcm.

Your other options: Slicehost, Vidahost, Register1

(Nic Hubbard) #12

I have also used linode.com which was very good, and a better deal than Slicehost.

(Duncan Robertson) #13

It would be interesting to see the Squiz Cloud pricing when it's ready. Really looking forward to that option - especially if it's supported and doesn't break the bank.

(Mfrost) #14

Thanks for the advice guys… I've created a 1GB RAM, 40GB disk server on RackSpace. Tonight we try to get Apache/PostgreSQL/Matrix installed. Wish us luck!

E

(Mfrost) #15

good news and bad news. got the server up and got matrix installed and running. i log in as root user but cannot do much. i am trying to create backend users. ii select from drop down then nothing. it is as if it is not allowing popups even though i have tried making an exception for the ip address of the server and even turning off popup blocking completely. i really want to change the password for the root account (and login username if possible too) and creater a couple of admin users.

any ideas?

i am accessing matrix using latest ubuntu with latest ff browser. jre is installed and running ok and popups exceptions set for ip of server.

(Mfrost) #16

if i scroll the cursolr over the top left where it says logged in as root, the winddow at the bottom of the browser says popups-blocked=0#

is this right?

(Mfrost) #17

it seems there is a syntax to the way one is supposed to use the asset window that is not explained in the manual? i can select admin user from the add dropdown and then click on the admin users directory in the tree and say create here. i managed to do this once and create one admin user, buty it takes forever to get the user creation window…i enbded up getting the 1gb cloud server at rackspace and yet even this simple process is painfully slow. hope this is not a sign of things to come…eager to learn more!

(Mfrost) #18

OK, so, Evening number one:

1. Got Rackspace server up in minutes – yay!
  2. Got PostgreSQL, Apache and Squiz installed – yay!
  3. Got logged into Squiz and was, eventually, able to create two new admin users and both were able to log in successfully – yay!

Comments so far:
  4. The left side of the backend interface seems a bit unstable. The activity animation seems to go on and off randomly and then stick even whan I am doing nothing.
  5. The syntax used to work with the left-hand side of the backend interface (select ADD dropdown, select thing to add, then select node on tree where it should go) should prolly be better explained in the docs, or sooner. Regardless, after some fiddling around one can figure it out.
  6. Speed seems a bit of an issue for me – adding a new admin user resulted in a wait of three minutes for the new user pane to display…is this right?
  7. I'VE GOT A LOT OF LEARNING TO DO BEFORE I WILL BE OF ANY USE IN THIS THING!!
  8. Thanks to you guys for your help so far…hope I don't wear out my welcome with all my questions which I know I will have…need to start looking for some template construction help.

(Mfrost) #19

Here's my next question: How do I change the root login and password?

(Duncan Robertson) #20

[quote]

3. Speed seems a bit of an issue for me – adding a new admin user resulted in a wait of three minutes for the new user pane to display…is this right?

4. I’VE GOT A LOT OF LEARNING TO DO BEFORE I WILL BE OF ANY USE IN THIS THING!!

[/quote]

Q3: No. Check your TOP. That isn’t right on a 1GB.

Q4: Yes, but be thankful how well documented the system is now!Start here.