Installing Matrix on Amazon Cloud account?

(Mfrost) #21

You're right re: q4, the library will be well used this end!

As for Q3, I shall be a dope and ask what you mean by TOP…

(Benjamin Pearson) #22

[quote]
You're right re: q4, the library will be well used this end!

As for Q3, I shall be a dope and ask what you mean by TOP…

[/quote]

Command line program to see what program is utilising the CPU and memory. If you are having general speed issues all round with Matrix (on a clean/fresh system) it sounds like you might have either a. something consuming the cpu usage or b. some hardware/software mis-configuration going on. If you know/have access to a system administrator, it might be worth getting them to look over your setup for possible problems. Also, it may not necessarily be a problem with Matrix. It is hard to analyze server performance issues in these forums without being able to see your particular setup, but we will always try to help answer any question we can!

[quote]Here's my next question: How do I change the root login and password?[/quote]

To change the root user name and password, check out the details screen of the root user asset (under System Management->System Administrators in the asset map)

[quote]if i scroll the cursolr over the top left where it says logged in as root, the winddow at the bottom of the browser says popups-blocked=0#[/quote]

yes, most likely its a javascript on click call.

Hope that helps!

(Mfrost) #23

Am I doing something wrong?

I tried to change the root login and password. I right click on the root user in the tree. it did nothing. Did it again…nothing. Then the browser crashed. This is the third time. Then I logged back in and right clicked on root user and the user details pane opened! Was able to change the password but not login name for root. but at least I could do it. Got cocky and thought I would try to do this on one of the admin accounts. right click on name and select details…nothing…I did it again and just got into a conversation with someone for five minutes. Turned back to machine and the pane is there. So it seems to just be painfully slow. But even after I right click details on a name, there is no indication in the interface that anything is going on. The spiral indicator in the bottom left does nothing to indicate it's having a think. I am a little concerned about performance, the crashes, and whether or not I am just doing something wrong. I am using FF4.01 in Ubuntu 11. I notice that demos of Matrix tend to be done using Chrome. Is that the browser of choice when using Matrix?

(Benjamin Pearson) #24

[quote]
Am I doing something wrong?

I tried to change the root login and password. I right click on the root user in the tree. it did nothing. Did it again…nothing. Then the browser crashed. This is the third time. Then I logged back in and right clicked on root user and the user details pane opened! Was able to change the password but not login name for root. but at least I could do it. Got cocky and thought I would try to do this on one of the admin accounts. right click on name and select details…nothing…I did it again and just got into a conversation with someone for five minutes. Turned back to machine and the pane is there. So it seems to just be painfully slow. But even after I right click details on a name, there is no indication in the interface that anything is going on. The spiral indicator in the bottom left does nothing to indicate it's having a think. I am a little concerned about performance, the crashes, and whether or not I am just doing something wrong. I am using FF4.01 in Ubuntu 11. I notice that demos of Matrix tend to be done using Chrome. Is that the browser of choice when using Matrix?

[/quote]

No, it is most likely something wrong with your setup. Are you using IcedTea for your java plugin? I have noticed it doesn't work properly with the asset map, you might have install the official java version instead.

And sorry, I was mistaken, you cannot change the username from the details screen like I originally thought, but you can change the password. This only applies for the root user, other users can have their username changed on the details screen.

(Mitchell Essex) #25

You can change the root password with the script
php /home/websites/mysource_matrix/reset_root_password.php /home/websites/mysource_matrix newpassword

(Mfrost) #26

Well, I ripped out the default Java version (OpenJRE) and replaced with witht eh official SUN JRE…and it's the same problem. I can right click on a user and select details and nothing happens. I will try from another machine to see if it is something server side.

(Mfrost) #27

It does seem to do things eventually. When I select things it seems to take anywhere from 1-4 minutes to get a response fromt he server. Sometimes the spiral shows something is going on but most often there is no sign of life…the pane is simply displayed after a few minutes. I have a feeling this thing is not set up properly. My hired sys admin guy had never installed Matrix before but he's generally very good at such things. I wonder if there are specific settings etc that my system needs that he was not aware of. I'm scrabbling through the installation stuff but I would love some advice for what to look for and ensure it is right.

M

(Mfrost) #28

OK I've just tested the server from another machine and it is smokin' quick!I recently updated my own machine to Ubuntu 11 and I have a feeling that I have not set up the partitions correctly on this local machine. It is quite possible that my swap space is too small or something like that. If I have to re-configure and reinstall my own machine I can handle that. I am relieved that is doesn't seem to be a configuration problem with the server…whew!

m

(Mfrost) #29

Is there any settings within my own browser that might be behind this curous behaviour?

(Mfrost) #30

I've checked my machine's resources and RAM and Swap are hardly touched and CPU usage is relatively low…nothing spikes. I am beginning to wonder if maybe it is the network I am on. I will know better tonight/tomorrow when I am back on my home network…fingers crossed!

(Duncan Robertson) #31

[quote]
Ubuntu 11

[/quote]

I think that is probably where you're getting stuck. Goodluck.

(Mfrost) #32

Problem Solved!

As it turns out it is FF 4.0.1. I installed Chrom on this same machine and BINGO it files! So however FF 4.0.1 for Linux deals with Java, it ain't snappy. anyway, thansk for all your ideas guys…now I can get on with reading…and finding some template development help.

(Duncan Robertson) #33

FF4 and Matrix are having issues. You’re certainly not the only one who’s experiencing this.

http://forums.squizsuite.net/index.php?showtopic=8207&view=findpost&p=40625

(Mfrost) #34

Whew, glad it's nothing personal…