Matrix 5 and GIT

(Tbaatar) #41

Thanks for the explanation Greg and Bart.

My understanding is Matrix 5 is not even RC ready and because of this Squiz is prohibiting access CVS/Git? This is totally understandable if you don't want public using software with full of bugs, however myself and I'm sure many people here assumed Matrix 5 was officially launched.

When can we realistically expect official release of Matrix 5 and the launch of the public (branch) Git repository?

Many thanks.

T

(Greg Sherwood) #42

When can we realistically expect official release of Matrix 5 and the launch of the public (branch) Git repository?

Matrix5 has been released. You can download the 5.0.0.0 VM from the Manuals site already. But the repository where we keep the Matrix code will not be made public. So you'll have access to the released source code via the download, but not the entire commit history.

Maintaining a public repo that has the latest released code only, including the entire commit history, is something that Bart would need to comment on.

(Bart Banda) #43

Can the downloadable VM be used to set up and install Matrix on a public-facing web server, and are you saying the availability of this VM is Squiz's distribution of Matrix 5?

Yep, you can, the source code of Matrix is accessible via that VM. Once the VM is running, you can FTP into the VM server and copy the code from there. That is our publicly released version of Matrix 5. We will make a new public version for 5.1 as well when it is released later this year, and for every future feature (MINOR) release ongoing. 

Like Greg said, and I mentioned above, Matrix 5 has been officially released. There are no plans to create a public Git repository of other public Matrix 5 releases at this stage. 

(Tbaatar) #44

Thanks for the feedback Bart and Greg.