Matrix 6 Docs Released

(Tbaatar) #1

With the release of Matrix 6 docs site, is it safe to presume Matrix 6 will be available for download before the end of the year? and will this release be available to the public via VM and as downloadable version to host on own server?

Thanks.

(Tbaatar) #2

Looks like end of Open Source for Squiz Matrix 6 CMS.

(John gill) #3

That’s fairly sad, most of my understanding of the platform is derived from the ability to inspect the source and run test instances.

Not entirely surprising, but I do wonder what the driver is because it was already impossible to run a Matrix site without a Squiz contract - the lack of upgrade scripts meant that it was defacto “source available” rather than “open source”.

I do hope they retain some manner of source availability, otherwise it starts to become an unaccountable blackbox which is a much harder thing to trust.

(Bart Banda) #4

Hey guys, the information provided in that slido response was incorrect. Matrix 6 will still have an open source release, just not this month. Our priorities are our SaaS release and dedicated hosting release of it, with the open source version following after that. We have plans to release it similar to how we have released M5 open source versions.
Apologies for the confusion.

(John gill) #5

Thanks Bart.

I apologise on behalf of the “just gimme the damn code” crowd, I realise we must be annoying but deep down it’s a compliment so I hope it doesn’t get too intolerable :joy:

(Bart Banda) #6

All good John, the “just gimme the damn code” crowd is extremely important to Matrix, which is why we want to continue supplying an open source version. Thanks for understanding. :slight_smile:

(Steven Kent) #7

Hmmmm…so, still possibly this calendar year? :neutral_face:

(Bart Banda) #8

Possibly, yes, but can’t give any guarantees at this stage…

(John gill) #9

Any update on this thread? Have been following the release notes at https://docs.squiz.net/matrix/version/latest/release-notes/index.html and we’re keen to get a hands on to start planning for the transition.

(Tbaatar) #10

Hi Bart,

Do you have a rough estimate as to when it will be released? It seems we have gone backwards again like the time when v5 was released and the public repo was pulled until v5.4.

I hope we’ll see the public release soon and keep this forums going for the next decade.

Thanks.

(Bart Banda) #11

Hey guys, sorry, not update as yet. We just have too many competing priorities at the moment to be able to schedule this in right now. We’ll look to have it available in the next couple of months.

(Boris) #12

Thanks for the update Bart, looking forward to the release.

(John gill) #13

Happy Birthday to Matrix 6. Any chance of a release to celebrate the first anniversary?

Even if you don’t have time to sort out a proper VM, a classic tgz dump would be preferable anyway.

We’re very keen to look at the asset syncing feature added in 6.14, it looks like it might be the key to improving multi-site component management.

I just want to +1 this post … but requires at least 20 chars :slight_smile:

(Tbaatar) #15

+1.

The sooner Squiz provide public access to the repository the better it will be for the community to provide support and keep the scene alive.

Thanks.

(Bart Banda) #16

Hey guys,
We’re about to release Matrix 6.15 (next week hopefully :crossed_fingers:) , we’ll look to create a VM and copy of the codebase along with that release. :slight_smile:

(Nic Hubbard) #17

What is the reason for not just hosing the Matrix code publicly on github?

(Tbaatar) #18

Hi Bart,

Many thanks for uploading the Matrix version 6.15.0.

Is the installation process and requirements the same as v5?

Thank you,
Tbaatar

(John gill) #19

@tbaatar I see I’m not the only person who set something up to watch the release page :laughing:.

I’ve been doing some trial and error, and the install process seems to be essentially the same as 5.

• Needs a npm install and npm run build to be run in the root directory. This creates the new /core/lib/frontend directory which houses the built JS/CSS/SVG.
~/sourceWorking$ du -h -d0 node_modules/
904M    node_modules/

• I’m getting an exception around LDAP_Bridge after I install. I have worked around the issue by deleting packages/ldap and application_monitoring before installation.

• Once it’s installed I can create Folders but not Pages due to Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Error' with message: 'Call to undefined function uuid_create(). I assume that’s some kind of PHP dep issue, I’ll ask Mr Google.

So very close, I think just a couple of dependency issues (and maybe a PHP version issue?). Surprisingly I haven’t needed to change the nginx config I was using, but that might change as I poke around the admin interface and find more broken stuff.

Thanks @Bart

(John gill) #20

Mostly unpicked the issues.

LDAP_Bridge

So the LDAP_Bridge issue was due to … my install script deliberately deleting the ldap package each time.

I forgot it was doing that. In v5 you could live without the ldap package, but in v6 the new application_monitoring package depends on it, so you either leave the ldap package alone or you remove both. Simple enough, and entirely self-inflicted.

Can’t create Pages (or any multi-asset asset type)

On my earlier install I could create single asset things (Folder, Data Record, Design, Calendar Events) but when I tried to create anything with more than one asset (Page, Paint Layout, etc) I got a fatal error (not visible, hidden in the network panel of devtools) missing function uuid_create(). Turns out this is a newly required php extension since v5 - uuid. In my case I fixed it with:

apt install uuid-dev
pecl install uuid
echo "extension=uuid.so" > /usr/local/etc/php/conf.d/uuid.ini

With that, I appear to have a working local V6 install. So the cliff notes are:

• build the front end stuff with npm
  • install the uuid php extension
  • then follow v5 installation