Matrix 6 Docs Released

(Tbaatar) #21

Hi John,

I just visit the website and forums every day for hot gossips and good news :sweat_smile:

Many thanks for the instructions, I will give it a go when I get some free time this weekend. I have always used Apache therefore most likely I will run into various issues.

Hopefully, the installation documentation will be updated with the recommended stack.

Thanks,
Tbaatar

(Tbaatar) #22

Hi @Bart ,

The link for Matrix 6.15.0 VM does not have public permission.
https://squiz-matrix.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/matrixdemo.squiz.net-6.15.0.ova

Thanks.

(John gill) #23

As an interim solution https://github.com/cjc/composed-matrix-6

(Tyson Adams) #24

Hi @tbaatar,

Apologies for the permission issue on the VM. I have updated this to be Public so you should be able to download it now.

I suspect that it will require some of the similar install setup as the tar file, but we are looking into this soon and will solve it either by documentation or pre-composing the configuration for the VM.

Thanks

(Tbaatar) #25

Hi Tyson,

Thanks for fixing the permission issue.

(Tbaatar) #26

When loading the VM through VirtualBox the UI is broken and it doesn’t work.
Does the VM image require anything additional?

Thanks.

(A Maskell) #27

Checking the asset map shows that there are no site assets and structure.
This leads to console errors as dependencies can’t load.
I’d suggest the ova image needs to be redone.

(Bart Banda) #28

Sorry guys, yeah we’ve identified some issues with it. We’ll be working on getting a new version out soon.

(Mark Graham) #29

Thanks for this John, it was helpful in setting up my local env.

As an aside, I have also put together a docker environment that is useful for testing out new features or trying some configurations.
It’s probably not the best docker implementation ever, but I have tried to make it clear what’s happening.

It will setup a DB with the roles needed, as well as download, build and deploy matrix to a fresh PHP server. It’s designed up be destroyed after use and re-deployed when needed.

I’d love any feedback on how to make it better.

Thanks,
Mark

(John gill) #30

Very nice, thanks for sharing. There are some things here I’ll steal to incorporate into my setup (like building V8js within a core PHP image, I could never get that working :+1:)

I also like how you’ve handled waiting for the DB to come up to, I’ll pinch that too. (disappointing that docker compose doesn’t have a native way to handle that)

You’ve got a couple of sleep commands around the install steps

php /var/www/squiz_matrix/install/step_02.php /var/www/squiz_matrix
sleep 5s
php /var/www/squiz_matrix/install/step_03.php /var/www/squiz_matrix
sleep 5s

I don’t think they are necessary, I never ran into any issues running the install steps back to back. I’ll test it out and see if it’s safe to remove them, would speed up startup a bit.

(Tbaatar) #31

Does Matrix 6 run on Apache?

I thought it was Nginx only.

(John gill) #32

I believe Squiz do all their hosting with nginx, but the config is simple enough that you could run it with any HTTP server that can pass the pertinent requests through to PHP (usually fastcgi).

It would be interesting to see how small you could get the minimum required config on something like Caddy https://caddyserver.com/docs/caddyfile/directives/php_fastcgi