Multi-language content

(Me) #1

Been checking out this cms and it looks very nice. However, one of my requirements is support for multi-language content and I couldn't find much information on that topic in the documentation, feature lists or past forums posts.

What I need is for each content article to be able to have additional language translations available. So if a visitor wants to view the site in chinese, then they could browse the same site hierarchy in chinese, with pages falling back to english if no translation is available. Ideally, no duplicate site hierarchy would be needed.

Is this possible using Matrix?

Thanks,

Collin

(Greg Sherwood) #2

Not without using mutliple assets and, therefore, a duplicate site hierarchy.

You'd have to recreate the sections or sites you want to translate by linking the english version into the new site where a translation if not provided.

(Avi Miller) #3

Or, you could create (or have Squiz create) a custom asset for this, one that detects the browser's preferred language (or allows the viewer to select one) and displays content based on that language.

It would be an interesting idea: We can already allow for multiple designs, with user-defined designs available for each page. Thus, we could (caveat: possibly, and with significant development required) allow each page to have multiple languages. Thus, you could switch languages like you switch designs.

Just an idea. I repeat the caveat: its possible, but would require development.

(Rhulse) #4

[quote]What I need is for each content article to be able to have additional language translations available.  So if a visitor wants to view the site in chinese, then they could browse the same site hierarchy in chinese, with pages falling back to english if no translation is available.  Ideally, no duplicate site hierarchy would be needed.

Is this possible using Matrix?

Thanks,

Collin

[right][post=“8336”]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Hi Collin,

We would like to have the same functionallity. Is this something you’d be prepared to share costs on? We are keen to avoid a duplicate URL heirarchy as well, and I have not seen this functionality anywhere else.

As a matter of interest we already use a cookie based asset on our site to serve up different kinds of audio metafiles. So Matrix can do thay type of thing…(subject to Gregs Caveat :wink: )

cheers,

Richard

(Me) #5

[quote]Hi Collin,

We would like to have the same functionallity. Is this something you’d be prepared to share costs on? We are keen to avoid a duplicate URL heirarchy as well, and I have not seen this functionality anywhere else.

As a matter of interest we already use a cookie based asset on our site to serve up different kinds of audio metafiles. So Matrix can do thay type of thing…(subject to Gregs Caveat :wink: )

cheers,

Richard

[right][post=“8339”]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

There are a few options available that do have support for this functionality, such as ez Publish, typo3, ezContents/iziContents. I was hoping that Matrix supported this as well, since it seems like a lighter weight and more elegant solution.

The site that needs this is a church site, so significant funding is difficult for this project since it is a non-profit and my time is voluntary as well. Can I get a ballpark idea of how much $ we’re talking here so I can evaluate how realistic this option is?

(Rhulse) #6

Generally I find path based solutions to be ugly, and I'd imagine a pain to edit as you have to dupliate all content. I also want to have one URL for all content as we often read these out over the radio. 95% of our content is generated new every day and we don't have the resource to translate it - but we do want to do the static content.

We'd have to come up with a spec for Greg to cost, and it would have to be reasobably detailed as it would impinge on many parts of Matrix - the Menus, bodycopies etc. We are going to go ahead with getting this done at some point in the near future anyway, but any contributions accepted!

Greg (or any of the devs) - do you have any initial thoughts on implementing this?

(Greg Sherwood) #7

I know how I'd like to implement it, but it would be very complex. I wont comment on costs, but if you send a spec through to your account manager we can get you a quote.

(Evan Wills) #8

Hi there

I'm working on a site that is primarily in English but we are currently hosting some pages in Spanish.

The problem I'm having at the moment is that although I'm having no problems using the special characters in the content of the pages It's a big problem for the page name. Matrix screws up the special characters and renders the HTML entities as plain text. Is there a way around either of these problems

(Avi Miller) #9

Matrix should fully support the use of special characters in page names. Can you post some examples for testing?