Newbie install error at step_02.php

(david.j.ware@ba.com) #41

No worries Nic …

We are thinking of changing the OS, on our test application server, from Solaris 10 to another flavour of UNIX if it makes the setup of MSMatrix easier.

What UNIX flavour do you recommend. We are inclined to choose Debian v6.0.1 as it's free … What do you think ?

(Duncan Robertson) #42

[quote]
I remember about 5 years ago when I first found Matrix I did the same thing as you, complied everything from the source. It took 1.5 days of frustration!

[/quote]

It took me 1.5 weeks of frustration. :slight_smile:

(david.j.ware@ba.com) #43

[quote]
You can try to use: Blastwave.org or

Blastwave.org or Blastwave.org or Blastwave.org or Blastwave.org repositories.

Regards

Arek

[/quote]

Hi Arek,

We are thinking of changing the OS, on our test application server, from Solaris 10 to another flavour of UNIX if it makes the setup of MSMatrix easier.

What UNIX flavour do you recommend. We are inclined to choose Debian v6.0.1 as it’s free … What do you think ?

(david.j.ware@ba.com) #44

[quote]
No, I was going from the ./configure; make; make install procedure you were doing, that is compiling from source.

[/quote]

Hi Benjamin,

What UNIX flavour do you recommend. We are inclined to choose Debian v6.0.1 as it's free … What do you think ?

(Nic Hubbard) #45

[quote]
No worries Nic …

[/quote]

I would go with Debian. It is supported by Squiz and is what I always have used.

(Arekczer) #46

[quote]
Hi Arek,

[/quote]

Hi David,

It's hard to say.

For example I use Linux and FreeBSD last 15 years - on main servers I have FreeBSD, sometimes I use Linux and Solaris.

In my opinion FreeBSD have a best software management system. Debian apt is also useful and easy especially if you would

like to use compiled packages.

Choosing new system is always hard. You can try Debian/Debian based system and apt or Fedora/CentOS/RHEL(is commercial) with rpm and yum.

Kind regards

Arek

(Benjamin Pearson) #47

[quote]
Hi Benjamin,

[/quote]

I personally use Ubuntu (it is my main desktop), but other flavours that are just as easy are: Debian, Fedora or CentOS. Squiz also primarily support Debian and CentOS, if that helps.

(Duncan Robertson) #48

Debian from my side. Fastest vanilla install.

(Nic Hubbard) #49

[quote]
Debian from my side. Fastest vanilla install.

[/quote]

Agreed!

(david.j.ware@ba.com) #50

Thanks for the feedback chaps … decisions to be made

Regards David