Overwriting web path logic

(Lidia) #1

**Matrix Version:**5.4.0.3

Hello

I was wondering if there is a way to overwrite the current logic behind the creation of urls, which is based on the full web path of the asset.
Basically many of our assets are organized in folders, but we don’t want the name of the folder to be displayed in the web path.
Here’s an example:

Client applications [standard page]
Policies [folder]
Policy Example 1 [standard page]
Policy Example 2 [standard page]

The web path for the Policy Example 1 page currently is www.site.com/client-applications/policies/policy-example-1

Ideally I would like it to be - www.site.com/client-applications/policy-example-1, so basically don’t have the name of the containing folder in the web path.

Is that possible at all?
Because we are going to have a lot of these, I don’t want to have to create a whole lot of remaps because it would be too much work.

Any help with this issue would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

(Ryan Morgan) #2

Hi there Lidia,
As far as I know there isn’t a way to do this via web paths/remaps etc.
Have you thought about using a trigger to new link the content on creation into one big bucket under your site?
So a folder called www.site.com/ is created.
You set up a trigger that listens for a status change of ‘Live’ over the folders you are looking for.
You set up some conditions to make it look only for standard pages etc
Then create a link to the new folder.
You could then find the link under the web paths section.
Cheers
Ryan

(Bart Banda) #3

Correct, it’s not possible to remove the web path of an asset in the linking chain and not remove the child web paths either. It is something we have in the roadmap to look at, but it looks tricky to support due to the way that links and web paths have always worked in the system, so it seems we might need to spend quite a bit of time to get it supported.

Another alternative is to add a remap rule in the remap manager if the remaps is the issue (added in 5.4.0.0).

(Lidia) #4

Hi Ryan, setting up a trigger sounds like a good solution. I’ll have a look into it. Thank you for your help!