Remap manager for external url

(Manjeet) #1

Hi there,

Is it possible to setup redirect to an external url which includes hash (#) using Matrix remap manager?
For example
https://test1.com/abc -> https://test2/#xyz

I tried this but getting below error:

Matrix Notice
URL fragments are not supported for remaps. All characters after (and including) the # have been removed from the added remap(s).

Any idea how can I setup url redirect for this type of scenarios?

Thank you

(John gill) #2

Interesting, I’m not sure why a hash isn’t allowed in remap manager. I’d create a Redirect Page asset instead of using a remap, as redirect pages permit a hash.

If you can’t create a redirect asset in the right location for the desired URL, you could create it somewhere else and then remap the desired URL to that asset. Not perfect, but it’ll do the job.

(Manjeet) #3

Thanks @JohnGill ,
Yes, I can create redirect asset then it works but just wanted to know why its not possible with Remap Manager.
Is this a limitation of Squiz Matrix?
or is this not allowed due to other considerations?

(Bart Banda) #4

Thanks guys, have added this to the backlog to enable hashes in the remap manager.

(Manjeet) #5

Thanks @Bart
Will this update be included in upcoming Squiz Matrix Release?

(Bart Banda) #6

Not sure yet which release, but if the work is straight forward, it should hopefully be available in the next month or 2.

(Iain Simmons) #7

Just FYI I believe this will work with the Remap Rules section, but you’ll need to use regular expressions to do it:

Remap From: |test1\.com\/abc(\/[^?]*)(\?.*)$|

Remap To: /test2.com/$2#xyz

This should also capture the query string params, if any, and insert them between the new path and the hash.

(Manjeet) #8

Thanks @isimmons
For now I have created an internal page and added Redirect asset to create a hashed url redirect.
Will try regex in future,

(Bart Banda) #9

Just looping back here to say that the upcoming 6.20 release (scheduled for this week) will have the ability to have hashes in the remap manager for the Remap URL (To) entry.

Thanks for raising it here everyone, would not have actioned it if it wasn’t for this forum thread. :slight_smile: