SSJS print() output new line

Matrix Version: v5.5.3.3

Has anyone got issues with SSJS where print() method output unwanted new line?

For example:

<div class="special-<script runat='server'>print('class');</script>">...</div>

Expected output will be:

<div class="special-class">...</div>

What I got is:

<div class="special-
class
">..</div>

(Bart Banda) #2

I can’t replicate this on 5.5.6.1, could potentially be the version of PHP/V8.js that is being used. Any idea of what that is on your instance?

(John gill) #3

I can replicate this behaviour in a 5.5.1.0 site using Spidermonkey.

/var/www/matrix$ cat data/private/conf/tools.inc  | grep JS
define('SQ_TOOL_JS_PATH', '/usr/bin/js52');
define('SQ_TOOL_JS_TIMEOUT', '30');
/var/www/matrix$ dpkg -l | grep libmozjs
ii  libmozjs-52-0:amd64                   52.9.1-0ubuntu0.18.04.1                                  amd64        SpiderMonkey JavaScript library
ii  libmozjs-52-dev                       52.9.1-0ubuntu0.18.04.1                                  amd64        SpiderMonkey JavaScript library - development headers

Surprisingly, it’s not just caused by the script block. If I split that ‘class’ example over two print statements I get a third newline:

<div class="special-<script runat='server'>print('cl');print('ass');</script>">...</div>
<div class="special-
cl
ass
">...</div>

Also, if I have an SSJS block with no print statements, I get a single newline

<div class="special-<script runat='server'></script>">,,,</div>
<div class="special-
">,,,</div>

So the behaviour appears to be “one newline incurred by executing the SSJS, plus one extra newline per print() call”.

You can fix part of it by replacing print() with putstr() https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/SpiderMonkey/Shell_global_objects

<div class="special-<script runat='server'>putstr('cl');putstr('a');putstr('ss');</script>">...</div>
<div class="special-
class">...</div>

Which isn’t particularly helpful (especially since putstr is Spidermonkey specific). If your site is Squiz hosted I don’t imagine it would be using Spidermonkey anyway, the execution overheads are significant. If you want to check which JS engine it’s using, create a REST resource and see if it tells you you can’t use V8js.

I’m not able to replicate this behaviour with V8js.

It is not a production system and it uses SpiderMonkey instead of V8. Sorry probably it should be in Support category. @Bart if you could change the category to General Discussion as I want to hear from others who has come across the issues.

It seems new line is also added when concatenating strings.