Trigger email if 404 page is accessed?

(Nick Papadatos) #1

Matrix Version: 5.5.4

Hi squiz folk,

I thought this was going to be easy but has anyone done something clever around 404’s by sending a notification (email) using a trigger?

We’ve just redesigned a new a site and reordered the IA but if someone tried to access a page that didn’t exist anymore which gets them to a Page not found. We want to be notified via email using a trigger with the URL that was used.

Cheers
Nick

(John gill) #2

Not as far as I can tell.

I thought maybe you could use the Asset Accessed event scoped to the Page Asset which is set as the Page Not Found asset for that site, but it looks like that event only fires when you access that page directly, not when it is rendered as a 404. I suspect you would need them to add a specific “404” trigger event.

In general if I wanted to be kept apprised of 404s I’d probably use analytics as the source rather than the CMS (which isn’t to say that’s how things should be, just the way the cookie crumbles in this particular timeline). Using GA I’d probably set it up to pull a list of 404 URLs every x days.

(Nick Papadatos) #3

Thanks John,

That’s correct in that event only fires when the asset itself is accessed. I’ll look into GA but I would still like to know how to achieve this in Matrix.
Cheers
N

(Hugh McMaster) #4

Have you tried using a Links report? That will show you all broken links and can even email you about them.

(Nick Papadatos) #5

Thanks Hugh, I ended setting this all up in GTM as JohnGill suggested with weekly reports.