Automatic Upgrade script throwing segmentation fault on step_03

(Nic Hubbard) #1

I am using the Automatic Upgrade scripts (which I have used hundreds of times), I have done about version upgrades so far, but the one I am running right now has a segmentation fault on step_03.php:

35 => report_asset_statuses 
Segmentation fault

‘/usr/bin/php’ ‘/home/websites/squiz_matrix/install/step_03.php’ ‘/home/websites/mysource_matrix’
returned error code 139 

I looked in all the errors logs (I think), but I can't find any clues as to what is causing this. 

Are there any error logs for the Automatic Upgrade scripts? I didn't see any.  Anyone seen this before or know how to fix it?

(Ashish Karelia) #2

Hi Nic,

Its not very easy to get the root cause of segmentation fault sadly.

Do you have xdebug installed? This article talks about how it can be used to get more information.

There may be more information in the PHP logs which may be useful too. apart from that the automatic upgrade would just add any of the errors on in the error log.

Also, what is the version of Matrix you are upgrading from and to?

Ash

(Nic Hubbard) #3

Hi Nic,

Its not very easy to get the root cause of segmentation fault sadly.

Do you have xdebug installed? This article talks about how it can be used to get more information.

There may be more information in the PHP logs which may be useful too. apart from that the automatic upgrade would just add any of the errors on in the error log.

Also, what is the version of Matrix you are upgrading from and to?

Ash

Restoring from a backup onto a new server, then going from 4.0.3 to 4.18.1. The error happened in step_03 for version 4.12.3.

I looked in all logs, and also used valgrind but the results were in C, so not useful.

I just dropped the DB and am seeing if the issue will happen again. Will report back.

(Nic Hubbard) #4

Never figured out what was causing the issue. But I upgraded to PHP 5.4 and step_03 completed normally and I never saw the seg fault again. Very strange.

(Benjamin Pearson) #5

Did you try running the requirements scripts? Usually I have seen Segmentation Faults from a missing package, and if coupled with a rogue '@' it makes it very hard to trace out.

One case, I do remember was Bulkmail was failing once because one of the required PEAR packages was in a different place and it was being included by @include, so no errors where being reported.

(Nic Hubbard) #6

Did you try running the requirements scripts? Usually I have seen Segmentation Faults from a missing package, and if coupled with a rogue '@' it makes it very hard to trace out.

One case, I do remember was Bulkmail was failing once because one of the required PEAR packages was in a different place and it was being included by @include, so no errors where being reported.

Yes, I tried running all the requirements scripts. I also compared everything to our old server, including versions of PEAR packages, etc and everything was the same. 

(Benjamin Pearson) #7

If you still have the valgrind results can you PM or email them to me so I can take a look?

(Nic Hubbard) #8

If you still have the valgrind results can you PM or email them to me so I can take a look?

Well, upgrading to PHP 5.4 fixed the error for me, so on my end I am not needing to debug anything else. Let me know if you are still wanting it though.

(Benjamin Pearson) #9

It would be nice to know, even if no one can replicate it anymore ;) Shoot 'em across.