Backup and Restoration of Mysource Matrix

(R Bhatkhande) #1

Hi,

Using the Backup User guide for Mysource Matrix, I created scripts to take a dump of the Mysource matrix source code as well as the datababse.

The Backup and restoration process worked fine and I was able to restore the system pretty well. However, soem of the users that are created in the system were not System Administrators. So, when they logged in after the restoration, they were unable to access the 'Designs Folder', 'Users folder', 'Media folder', 'Web services folder' and 'System management'. Only when I added those users as System administrators, they were able to access these above folders.

Before the system was restored, the same users were able to see the above folders.

Is there something wrong in the restoration process? How can I grant access to these users after the restoration. Is there any script to do that?

Any help much appreciated. I am using Mysource matrix 3.28.0 version.

Regards,

Radhika

(Anthony Barnes) #2

[quote]
Only when I added those users as System administrators, they were able to access these above folders.

[/quote]

Can you confirm what you mean by added them as system administrators?

Backup and restore should not affect any matrix permissions, these are all stored in the database. Check to see if the users have permissions assigned to these assets in the permissions screen. System administrators get implied permissions to all assets in the system, so if the users were not explicitely given permission previously (either by user or user group), then they would have to have been System Administrators, and in the System Administrators folder to have access.

(R Bhatkhande) #3

I checked that in the Permission screens, the Users have Admin Permissions and the Cascade option is checked.

How can I check that users have access to the assets in the Permission screen?

[quote]

Can you confirm what you mean by added them as system administrators?

Backup and restore should not affect any matrix permissions, these are all stored in the database. Check to see if the users have permissions assigned to these assets in the permissions screen. System administrators get implied permissions to all assets in the system, so if the users were not explicitely given permission previously (either by user or user group), then they would have to have been System Administrators, and in the System Administrators folder to have access.

[/quote]

(R Bhatkhande) #4

I logged in as root and added the Backend user to the System Administrators section under System Management. Thats when the User was able to access the Design folder.
Is this how it should be done? Or the backend user eventhough it is not under System Administrator should be able to access the Design folder.

[quote]

I checked that in the Permission screens, the Users have Admin Permissions and the Cascade option is checked.

How can I check that users have access to the assets in the Permission screen?

[/quote]

(Anthony Barnes) #5

If the user asset type is a 'Backend User' they will never be able to access the System Management folder. This folder is for administrative functions set aside for the System Administrator users and as such has no permissions screen. A backend user can be morphed (from the settings screen) into a System Administrator, but it must also be linked into the System Administrators folder (under System Management).

It sounds like, although you may have applied permissions to assets, that the user may not be the correct type to access everything.

For the designs folder, Backend users may be given permission to access anything in here via the permissions screen. Perhaps the user doesn't belong to the correct user group for whatever permissions have been applied to the designs folder?

Check the Users and Permissions Manual for more information on the different user types in matrix, or alternately we offer training courses that cover these concepts in detail.