Design customisation not working

(Lewis) #1

I’ve setup a design customisation on our website but it doesn’t show, despite turning it to print “Yes” in the customisation itself, as described in the manual.

Any ideas? I have two body design areas - one for regular pages and one specifically for the homepage as the layout for that page is significantly different, especially because it uses its own metadata schema.

It says in v5’s manual that you can set print=“no” on the design tag and set print to “Yes” in the customisation itself and should still show.

I’ve tried recaching and reparsing the design file and it still doesn’t show. What am I doing wrong?

Any ideas?

(Iain Simmons) #2

Hi @lewis,

I think you need the <MySource_AREA> tag to be self-closing for the body:

‹MySource_AREA id_name="homepage_body" design_area="body" print="no" cache="0" />

<section id="homepageHeroSection">
…

Try that first.

Also, double check that the customisations you have where Print = Yes are being used on the pages you expect, and not being overridden.

Cheers,
iain

(Lewis) #3

Hi @isimmons. Thanks for your reply!

I’ve tried the self closing tag and it simply means that the content (<section … etc) is displayed on every page, not just the homepage, where the customisation is applied. This is what I would expect as the content is no longer wrapped in _AREA tags but just adjacent to one.

This has shown something though because, when I changed it to a self closing tag, the changes came through immediately so it isn’t a caching issue - something else is wrong here.

Just to be clear - customisations should work like this, right?

<MySource_AREA id_name="foo" design_area="body" print="no" cache="0">

<p>Some content you only want on a particular page, for example</p>

</MySource_AREA>

You then create the customisation in the Design asset, customise it and toggle the Print option to ‘yes’. I haven’t missed something, have I?

(Iain Simmons) #4

Hi @lewis,

Yes, that is normally how they work, but the body design area is not designed to have content in it.

If you want to have content conditionally shown in a design, you would use either a Show If Design Area or a Nest Content Design Area (with the conditional logic in the nested asset).

The Body Design Area is meant to just show the contents of the current page being displayed.

In your case, I’d suggest self-closing the Body Design Area, and then moving the content you have into a Nest Content Design Area that also has print="no", and then you would change it to Print: Yes in the customisation.

This gives you the added benefit of being able to change that content in just a regular Standard Page.

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers,
iain