Disable some easyedit features

(Tim Trodd) #1

We are currently upgrading to 5.4.3.0 from 5.3.1.1.

Loving some of the new features especially back end tools such ssjs and personas etc.

Two things some of the web content editors are worried about is the:

1. image resizing feature which allows users to drag the image to a different size, useful but they would like to disable it as we make users use standard image sizes for content sections so would rather users didn’t have the choice to change it.

2. image is decorative default, make this not default as we would like users to enter a alt text etc. as standard.

Is there a simple way of disabling 1 and changing the default of 2? guessing through easy edit plugins?

Thanks,

Tim

(Aleks Bochniak) #2

Hide the buttons with css override?

(Tim Trodd) #3

thats true I could hide the ‘ViperImagePlugin-resizeBox canResize’ class. Not sure that would work with the decorative default though as its already selected by default and we want this not selected by default.

(Bart Banda) #4

Yea I would also use CSS to overwrite this.

Yea this would be harder. Might just need to make sure that this is part of the workflow approval checking process as well and making sure users check all WCAG errors and warnings before they apply for approval. You could alternatively write some custom CSS and/or JS that puts a red border around an image or something with some warning text if it doesn’t have an alt tag?

(Klye) #5

I second ttrodd’s request. Having images as decorative by default is an odd choice - not promoting accessibility at all. We don’t have workflow enabled, so need the tool to impose as much governance as possible. We’d also like the “upload under current asset” no be the default either, as we require editors to upload images to a media folder (as recommended by Squiz!)

In addition to this, we’re finding some problems with the new image uploader automatically adding absolute dimensions to the image on the page. If the image asset is updated/replaced, the size remains as the original. Also prevents responsive sizing.

(Bart Banda) #6

Yea I think it would be good to actually allow users to set this as a preference. Could be a toggle in the Global Preferences screen where the other options for the Edit+ WYSIWYG area is? I’ve added an idea for it into our roadmap tool: https://squizmap.squiz.net/matrix/11642

Another tip is to create a trigger that fires on before asset created and checks where the image is being uploaded to and if it’s in a restricted place, fail the upload? https://matrix.squiz.net/tutorials/2015/configuring-a-trigger-to-prevent-image-assets-from-being-created

(Klye) #7

Thanks Bart - a configurable option in Global Preferences would be ideal.

With the trigger and upload fail workaround - the error messages aren’t specific enough on this. We already have problems with editors trying to upload files over the size limit, and the error being too vague for them to understand why.

To add to this as well having images set as show in menu ( asset creation wizard) by default , would be great if show in menu is no by default. Ideally images should not be in site menus.