Easy edit "use default" checkbox

(Gjboyd7) #1

Hi

How do I remove the option that appears beneath every field in easy edit:  Use default" checkbox.

We are doing user testing, and it's frustrating our users to have to uncheck this every time during editing.

Thanks 

(Scott Hall) #2

There is only one way to work around this that I know of. As long as you don’t care about losing any existing metadata, you can go to the metadata screen and uncheck default and check cascade vale for each field, then save. It will apply the values for that page to everything under it, including the unchecked default state. Experiment on a test asset that has children with different metadata values to see what I mean.

(Bart Banda) #3

There is only one way to work around this that I know of. As long as you don't care about losing any existing metadata, you can go to the metadata screen and uncheck default and check cascade vale for each field, then save. It will apply the values for that page to everything under it, including the unchecked default state. Experiment on a test asset that has children with different metadata values to see what I mean.

This will only get applied to current assets though, so any new pages that get created will still have the use default checked. 

I would recommend building a quick and easy JS plugin that creates an "uncheck all use default checkboxes" checkbox on the metadata screen. 

(Gjboyd7) #4

Does easy edit work with jquery included?  I have tried to include it with jquery and it gives a blank screen.

(Bart Banda) #5

EES already uses and include jQuery, no need to include it yourself. Not sure which version though, but I think you can check with running http://api.jquery.com/jquery-2/  in your console. 

(Scott Hall) #6

Most likely 1.7.1 but you can check by running jQuery.fn.jquery; from the developer console.

(Douglas (@finnatic at @waikato)) #7

I would recommend building a quick and easy JS plugin that creates an "uncheck all use default checkboxes" checkbox on the metadata screen. 

Anyone got a code snipppet for that they'd like to share?

Slight blast from the past…

Not sure if anyone has any code to share or solutions they’ve developed over the past two years?

I’m trying to push Content Templates to our editors but they’re frustrated by having to de-select the “use default” box before being able to enter any text into a text field.

It seems a bit of a UX omission. Take the Video Embedder template for example, if an editor is wanting to add a new video I can’t see them wanting to “use default” - chances are they’re going to want to click on the URL field and paste in a URL. Figuring out you have to first de-select a checkbox to the left isn’t very intuitive.

Edit: To add I guess instead of using %metadata-F_metadata_values% I could create something from scratch but seeing as editors are already familiar with the metadata layout I’d rather keep that and just bin the checkboxes if possible.

(Douglas (@finnatic at @waikato)) #9

Sample EES / Edit+ plugins would be a great addition to either the Tutorials or Resources section of the matrix.squiz.net site.

(Bart Banda) #10

Great ideas!

Yes, it would be great if the use default checkbox was unticked automatically when you click into the text field. And if you focus out of it and you haven’t changed anything in the text field, the default checkbox could get ticked automatically again perhaps? I will add that as a feature request to the roadmap.

In saying that, it shouldn’t be to hard to tweak the video embed template to do that for you, just add some more JS into the template. I’ll see if I can do that and will update the template on the site.

Yep, will definitely try and write a tutorial for that in the next month or so.
In the meantime you can check out a small example of how you might do it here:
https://matrix.squiz.net/manuals/edit-plus/chapters/javascript-plugins

(Bart Banda) #11

Have done that now and updated the plugin on https://matrix.squiz.net/resources/templates/content-templates

Feel free to download the new version and let me know if that works well.

I’ve also added the idea to our roadmap at https://squizmap.squiz.net/matrix/10015

Great, thanks for the speedy response - I’ll have a look at the updated version.

(Mark Nearhos) #13

Reviving this. Is there an EasyEdit.plugin already available that unchecks “Use default” ?

(Bart Banda) #14

Not yet, but we are working on adding it to a not-so-distant release.

In the meantime, checkout the Video Embed template I mentined above and the JS I wrote in there, you should be able to copy the relevant bits out of it to write a plugin for the main Metadata screen as well.

(Mark Nearhos) #15

Thanks Bart - will do. I misunderstood your earlier post and thought it was just for the video container.