Install Squiz Matrix in 10 minutes on Debian 6.0

(Nic Hubbard) #1

Really not trying to promote anything, other than being helpful. I just wrote up a blog post about how you can install Matrix in 10 minutes on Debian 6.0. I give all the steps needed, and everything that you need to do. It has been tested and works. So go give it a try:

http://www.zedsaid.com/blog/install-squiz-matrix-in-10-minutes-on-debian-6.0

Edit: Just tested a new install and finished it in 7 minutes. :slight_smile: A new record!

(Jeremy Hewitt) #2

I just did an install on a Debian 6 Linode last week. Install was smooth but still, I would've saved time if I'd seen this. Nice guide Nic :slight_smile:

(Nic Hubbard) #3

[quote]
I just did an install on a Debian 6 Linode last week. Install was smooth but still, I would've saved time if I'd seen this. Nice guide Nic :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Glad to help!

(Anewport) #4

This is pretty awesome. Thanks

(Tbaatar) #5

Nice post Nick! this is lot cleaner then one I put together.

Do you have a bulletproof guide for installing email package such as sendmail or postfix that works with Matrix.

(Nic Hubbard) #6

[quote]
Do you have a bulletproof guide for installing email package such as sendmail or postfix that works with Matrix.

[/quote]

That is pretty easy. Just do:

apt-get install postfix

Once you do that, it will give you a setup screen with a few questions. That is it!

(Tbaatar) #7

what about all the IP tables, and security issues?

(Nic Hubbard) #8

[quote]
what about all the IP tables, and security issues?

[/quote]

I think those are more of a preference based on the requirements of the website. So, I didn't want to dive into that.

(Tbaatar) #9

I just tried a test install and it literally took 10 min.

1 thing I couldn't get working properly was Rewrite Condition in the Virtual Host - vim /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default

Here is my code:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.website.com
ServerAlias website.com www.website.com website.com
ServerAdmin tech@website.com
DocumentRoot /home/websites/squiz_matrix/core/web

Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks

<Directory /home/websites/squiz_matrix>
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
</Directory>
<DirectoryMatch “^/home/websites/squiz_matrix/(core/(web|lib)|data/public|fudge)”>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</DirectoryMatch>

<FilesMatch “.inc$”>
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
</FilesMatch>
<LocationMatch “/(CVS|.FFV)/”>
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
</LocationMatch>

Alias /__fudge /home/websites/squiz_matrix/fudge
Alias /__data /home/websites/squiz_matrix/data/public
Alias /__lib /home/websites/squiz_matrix/core/lib
Alias / /home/websites/squiz_matrix/core/web/index.php/

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^website.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://www.website.com/$1 [L,R]

</VirtualHost>

Also previously I used to update the /etc/hosts file to that of the domain, is this not required?

Thanks.

(Nic Hubbard) #10
I just tried a test install and it literally took 10 min.

1 thing I couldn't get working properly was Rewrite Condition in the Virtual Host - vim /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default

Here is my code:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.website.com
ServerAlias website.com www.website.com website.com
ServerAdmin tech@website.com
DocumentRoot /home/websites/squiz_matrix/core/web

Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks

<Directory /home/websites/squiz_matrix>
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
</Directory>
<DirectoryMatch “^/home/websites/squiz_matrix/(core/(web|lib)|data/public|fudge)”>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</DirectoryMatch>

<FilesMatch “.inc$”>
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
</FilesMatch>
<LocationMatch “/(CVS|.FFV)/”>
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
</LocationMatch>

Alias /__fudge /home/websites/squiz_matrix/fudge
Alias /__data /home/websites/squiz_matrix/data/public
Alias /__lib /home/websites/squiz_matrix/core/lib
Alias / /home/websites/squiz_matrix/core/web/index.php/

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^website.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://www.website.com/$1 [L,R]

</VirtualHost>

Also previously I used to update the /etc/hosts file to that of the domain, is this not required?

Thanks.

That should have worked if you copied it just how I had it. What isn't working for you. Did you make sure to restart Apache?

(Marcus Fong) #11
Just checking... did you enable mod_rewrite with "a2enmod rewrite"?

(Tbaatar) #12

Thanks Marcus,

The mod_rewrute was not enabled. It is now redirecting the without prefix to www

I always seem to forget this rule.

(Nic Hubbard) #13
Thanks Marcus,

The mod_rewrute was not enabled. It is now redirecting the without prefix to www

I always seem to forget this rule.

Did it not warn you when you tried to restart apache without mod_rewrite? Normally it throws a warning...

(Tbaatar) #14
Did it not warn you when you tried to restart apache without mod_rewrite? Normally it throws a warning...

It did warn but I assumed it was for the the virtual host: RewriteEngine on command. :ph34r:

(Tbaatar) #15

Sorry for bringing this back up again.

But would it be possible to extend the tutorial for adding "External Tools" and configuring plug-ins like HTML Tidy, pdftohtml, markdown etc?

Thanks.

(Nic Hubbard) #16

Sorry for bringing this back up again.

But would it be possible to extend the tutorial for adding "External Tools" and configuring plug-ins like HTML Tidy, pdftohtml, markdown etc?

Thanks.

Yeah. I actually just wrote a script that installs Matrix and all those external tools automatically. Just run the script and boom, everything is installed automatically. :)

I will work up a blog post and link to the script when I have a chance.

(Tbaatar) #17

Fantastic Nic!

(Tbaatar) #18

I've been checking everyday since you mentioned about the Automatic External Tools Script.

Just a bump, in case you have forgotten Nic :)

(Nic Hubbard) #19

I've been checking everyday since you mentioned about the Automatic External Tools Script.

Just a bump, in case you have forgotten Nic :)

Well the script installs Squiz Matrix as well as the External Tools, there isn't a way to just install the tools.

I am launching a new website design for Zed Said Studio soon, and this was going to be my new post once that happens. Hope to be in a few days. :)