Making a copy of MSM from one server to another

(R Thompson) #1

Hi,

I have a installed and working installation of MSM on one existing server, I wish to build two new additional servers (TEST & DEV) seeded from the orginal (PROD) server. The main orginal server is a virtual server, the new servers are also virtual. I have successfully cloned the master server to new new servers with there own hostnaames, etc. Each server is self contained with its own Postgres DB running within the server, all is ok at the OS level. The OS is RHEL 5.5.

On the cloned server the MSM web comes up with invalid key when trying logging into the admin page, so I have re-run the MSM install scripts to get the root URLS corrrect and generate new keys. I can now login but it doesn't come up with any headers, footers, parts, some content in admin page but no links work. The left menu (Java) pane appears, but nothing else so I cant do anything, when I click in the left menu pane the right display area comes up with unresolved page (cant find). I am assuming this a URL issue in the database for the content as I have read all the doco and followed what I think are the steps for installation (can't find any doco on how to move or chnage a server name). In looking through the doco and forum I have come across two scripts called "replace_url.php" and "add_remove_url.php", I haven't run these.

What am I missing? What steps do I need to do to clone an existing server to a new one?

(Edison Wang) #2

This is likely to be a apache's configuration problem.

• check your apache config file, make sure it points to correct physical installation location
  • check your matrix config file data/private/conf/main.inc, makes sure the root url is correct

Backend admin interface doesn't require the url of site to be correct, as long apache setting matches physical location, it should work.