Matrix for iOS - Suggestions and comments needed

(Nic Hubbard) #1

Hi guys, I am looking for some suggestions and feedback for my latest project that I am working on, an iOS (iPhone/iPad) version of the Matrix Asset map which has other admin features.

Checkout the full blog post: http://www.zedsaid.com/blog/squiz-matrix-asset-map-for-ios

What I am really looking for is what the community is interested in, since I want this to appeal to actual users. Let me know your suggestions, comments, features etc so that I can build a product that everyone will want to use!

Thanks.

(Aleks Bochniak) #2

Does it work on android? :stuck_out_tongue:

(Nic Hubbard) #3

[quote]
Does it work on android? :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

Good one. :slight_smile:

(Anton Babushkin) #4

I think the key to great mobile apps, is that they focus on tasks that you do "on the go". They should never try and replace the desktop experience.

With that in mind, this is what I would like to see:

Authoring:

• Workflow (approval, rejection, preview, etc.)

[b]System / server admin[/b]
[list]
[*] Log / HIPO monitoring
[*] Integration with some sort of server monitoring application (e.g. CPU / Memory usage)
[/list]

(Benjamin Pearson) #5

Just saying but this is sounding less like an Asset Map and more like a mobile interface to Matrix :lol:

(Nic Hubbard) #6

[quote]
I think the key to great mobile apps, is that they focus on tasks that you do "on the go". They should never try and replace the desktop experience.

[/quote]

Thanks for your suggestions.

I definitely agree that an app should not try to replace what Matrix does on the desktop.

(Nic Hubbard) #7

[quote]
Just saying but this is sounding less like an Asset Map and more like a mobile interface to Matrix :lol:

[/quote]

No, you are right. This is going to turn into something much more than just asset map browsing, it is going to be a mobile way to manage your assets and site. :slight_smile:

(Dave Letorey) #8

Does it reflect permissions, I assume that the video you are logged in as root?

I'd definitely vote for workflow

I'd also like to see status changing

Dave

(Rhulse) #9

[quote]
Hi guys, I am looking for some suggestions and feedback for my latest project that I am working on, an iOS (iPhone/iPad) version of the Matrix Asset map which has other admin features.

Checkout the full blog post: http://www.zedsaid.com/blog/squiz-matrix-asset-map-for-ios

What I am really looking for is what the community is interested in, since I want this to appeal to actual users. Let me know your suggestions, comments, features etc so that I can build a product that everyone will want to use!

Thanks.

[/quote]

I think you should be selling this. There is no need to release the code, in fact the GPL may conflict with iTunes terms of service:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/05/fsf-apples-itunes-store-terms-of-service-at-odds-with-gpl.ars

(Nic Hubbard) #10

[quote]
Does it reflect permissions, I assume that the video you are logged in as root?

I'd definitely vote for workflow

I'd also like to see status changing

Dave

[/quote]

Yes, I was logged in as a sys admin for the demo, but the app will respect permissions.

The status changing feature is almost finished. Worked on it yesterday. :slight_smile:

(Nic Hubbard) #11

[quote]
I think you should be selling this. There is no need to release the code, in fact the GPL may conflict with iTunes terms of service:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/05/fsf-apples-itunes-store-terms-of-service-at-odds-with-gpl.ars

[/quote]

Thanks Richard. Yes, I think it will be more useful if I just release the app on the app store, but I am pretty sure it will just be free. :slight_smile:

(Jeremy Hewitt) #12

[quote]
Thanks Richard. Yes, I think it will be more useful if I just release the app on the app store, but I am pretty sure it will just be free. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

First up, amazing work! Speaking as a matrix enthusiast here, not a Squiz client.

I would pay for this. I think this type of app would be a huge benefit to people selling matrix sites. Soon web designers could tell tech-obsessed customers that now you can manage on the go. People pushing matrix would push this product too. I know I would! Hugely keen on this and if there's anything I could contribute in terms of GUI etc please send me an email though iOS pretty much has that stuff nailed nicely (jeremy.hewitt.hobart@gmail.com).

I realise it's admin focused, but a streamlined editing-in-app option on iOS would be amazing. MySource Mobile FTW :slight_smile:

(Nic Hubbard) #13

[quote]
First up, amazing work! Speaking as a matrix enthusiast here, not a Squiz client.

I would pay for this. I think this type of app would be a huge benefit to people selling matrix sites. Soon web designers could tell tech-obsessed customers that now you can manage on the go. People pushing matrix would push this product too. I know I would! Hugely keen on this and if there's anything I could contribute in terms of GUI etc please send me an email though iOS pretty much has that stuff nailed nicely (jeremy.hewitt.hobart@gmail.com).

I realise it's admin focused, but a streamlined editing-in-app option on iOS would be amazing. MySource Mobile FTW :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Thanks! Yeah, after some thought and much more work, I think that when it is ready, it will be a paid app.

I will shoot you off an email…

(Kylie Llewellyn) #14

This would be soooo fantastic! I like doing work on the go and would def use something like this app.

I have just bought an Asus Transformer Android Tablet and finding brick walls on getting anything to work.

EES is the only thing that I can do, which is quite frustrating. Love to hear the update as to how the development is going??

(Nic Hubbard) #15

[quote]
Love to hear the update as to how the development is going??

[/quote]

Development is going great. I have been focusing recently on allowing multiple server configurations. That way if you manage multiple servers, you can add a configuration for each, then choose one, then switch to the asset map to browse. Then, you can quickly click to another configuration to load that other site. When to make a configuration it will verify the server is a Matrix server, your soap server, then finally check and login the user.

Another feature that I just finished was previewing assets. So, if you preview a normal page type asset you can preview the page without having to leave the app and go to Safari and most file assets can be previewed as well.

Check my blog for project updates: http://www.zedsaid.com/blog

Any suggestions or questions are welcome!

Woo! That is ace.I was thinking hey wouldn't it be cool to manage it all on the go- and you think of everything.
Are you going to run for advocate this year?

(Nic Hubbard) #17

[quote]
Are you going to run for advocate this year?

[/quote]

Yeah I am, want to give me a vote? http://squiz.com.au/news_and_events/conference/squiz-community-advocate-2011

Good luck! I'll make sure our team come say hi at the conference :slight_smile:

(Nic Hubbard) #19

[quote]
Good luck! I'll make sure our team come say hi at the conference :slight_smile:

[/quote]

I won't actually be at the conference. I was there in 2008 but wasn't able to make it this year. :frowning:

(Nic Hubbard) #20

For more information about Squiz Matrix for iOS visit http://www.squizmatrixapp.com