Noob trying to install Squiz and not getting very far

(Mfrost) #1

My host has got postgresql installed on my server and i am using phppgadmin to run the set up of the db. Created DB and users and can see they are there and permissions set ok. But in the next step I get:

ERROR: syntax error at or near "$" at character 1

In statement:

$ createlang -U postgres plpgsql mysource_matrix

And I run several accounts (organising things thorugh cpanel) on this server and need to know where in the account set up for this squiz install I should extract the archive from… Can you help a noob here?

FYI, server runs current CentOS and postgresql version is 8.1.22.

Mark

(Aleks Bochniak) #2

Try without the $ at the front

(Mfrost) #3

Well, I finally figured out the problem – needed to get into the right account/login to get permissions to do that. so, i have managed that step. Now I need to figure out where to extract the archive as I share my server across a number of cpanel accounts and I want squiz to exist in only one. So the base of this account is /home/squiz, not user/local. Any ideas on how I translate this to work for me?

m

(Benjamin Pearson) #4

[quote]
Well, I finally figured out the problem – needed to get into the right account/login to get permissions to do that. so, i have managed that step. Now I need to figure out where to extract the archive as I share my server across a number of cpanel accounts and I want squiz to exist in only one. So the base of this account is /home/squiz, not user/local. Any ideas on how I translate this to work for me?

m

[/quote]

Not exactly sure, what you are trying to do here, but Matrix should be able to install with any path (there is no hardcoded path, everything underneath is relative to the root directory), you would just have to change the commands to match your setup. For example php /home/squiz/install/step_01.php /home/squiz.

But the easiest method to install is to change to the current matrix directory (in your case /home/squiz) and run the command from that directory but using $PWD or pwd. Obviously in the apache config, you would have to use full paths.

HTH

(Mfrost) #5

[quote]
Not exactly sure, what you are trying to do here, but Matrix should be able to install with any path (there is no hardcoded path, everything underneath is relative to the root directory), you would just have to change the commands to match your setup. For example php /home/squiz/install/step_01.php /home/squiz.

But the easiest method to install is to change to the current matrix directory (in your case /home/squiz) and run the command from that directory but using $PWD or pwd. Obviously in the apache config, you would have to use full paths.

HTH

[/quote]

Thanks Ben,

I've extracted the archive into my /public_html directory in the account. Here's the Noob coming out again – what do i do next? The instructions talk about extracting the archive and ensuring permissions in a pid file are right (and I have no idea how to get to thatr file given i am on a shared server) and then the next steps are around testing the server…at what point am i to run an installer and what is the process? I need to assign it to the db and user(s) etc…

m

(Mfrost) #6

Well, if I try to kick off step_01.php I get a permissions error. I am logged in as the admin of the squiz account. Do I need to be logged in a root to run the install scripts? Is there anything else I need to do prior to running them?

m

(Mfrost) #7

I notice in the step_01 script there is a variable that appears needing to be filled – the root directory location. Am I expected to fill this myself manually before running the script?

(Mfrost) #8

[quote]

HTH

[/quote]

I am trying to set up an instance of Matrix as we need to run a quick evaluation of it. We are considering purchasing the enterprise version and we need to get an eval instance of it up and running ASAP. I am hoping I can get this up and running this weekend so come monday we can start work on the eval process. We will obviously have more resource for this process later on but time is critical and I want to get cracking ASAP. The other vendors have created instances for us and even populated them with our own content to evaluate. Time and resources are short for this kind of help in this instance so I thought I would try to get things started on my own and my cohorts could join me next week in fleshing it out and getting to grips with matrix and understanding it better…So, time is of the essence and I am not really skilled enough to understand the instructions as you have written them. They were obviously written for a webmaster in mind and I am not that skilled. And my server is split amongst a number of accounts so i dont have easy root access. so i am going back and forth with my host guys and each cycle take longer than it ought to. If I could just get some help grinding out the install in baby speak that would be really appreciated here…

thanks!

m

(Mfrost) #9

OK, I'm well and truly stuck and have run out of ideas on what to do next.

I have got the database install and running and primary and secondary accounts attached to that db.

I have uploaded and extracted the matrix archive into my /home/squiz/public_html directory. the root directory of this account is /home/squiz/public_html.

If I try to run step_01.php from terminal (/home/squiz/public_html/mysource_matrix/install/step_01.php I get sytax errors as it tries to read the commented out header of the step_01 script. If I try to run the script by typing 'php /home/squiz/public_html/mysource_matrix/install/step_01.php I get the error OUT OF MEMORY.

If I try from root to run 'php /home/squiz/public_html/mysource_matrix/install/step_01.php' I get 'Status: 500 Internal Server Error

X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.9

Content-type: text/html'

As mentioned, I am not skilled enough to get this any further and yet I feel it is important to set this up to get the eval process rolling monday morning. Anyone out there willing and able to help me crack this thing?

thanks!

M

(Keith Brown) #10

…if you are just evaluating - why not use the VM?

http://matrix.squizsuite.net/download

K

(Mfrost) #11

[quote]
…if you are just evaluating - why not use the VM?

http://matrix.squizsuite.net/download

K

[/quote]

I would but I need it to live politely on a server running some other sites that are live. beside, part of the eval is about setting it up.

(Arekczer) #12

[quote]
OK, I’m well and truly stuck and have run out of ideas on what to do next.

I have got the database install and running and primary and secondary accounts attached to that db.

I have uploaded and extracted the matrix archive into my /home/squiz/public_html directory. the root directory of this account is /home/squiz/public_html.

If I try to run step_01.php from terminal (/home/squiz/public_html/mysource_matrix/install/step_01.php I get sytax errors as it tries to read the commented out header of the step_01 script. If I try to run the script by typing 'php /home/squiz/public_html/mysource_matrix/install/step_01.php I get the error OUT OF MEMORY.

If I try from root to run ‘php /home/squiz/public_html/mysource_matrix/install/step_01.php’ I get ‘Status: 500 Internal Server Error

Content-type: text/html’

As mentioned, I am not skilled enough to get this any further and yet I feel it is important to set this up to get the eval process rolling monday morning. Anyone out there willing and able to help me crack this thing?

thanks!

M

[/quote]

Hi,

First you should go to MSM dir:

cd /home/squiz/public_html/mysource_matrix

and then run

php install/step_01.php /home/squiz/public_html/mysource_matrix

All installation steps you have here -> MSM Installation

Also check all MSM Installation

Regards

Arek

(Benjamin Pearson) #13

[quote]

[/quote]

On your server, php.ini needs to be setup with at least 64Mb of memory for Matrix to run.

[quote]

If I try from root to run 'php /home/squiz/public_html/mysource_matrix/install/step_01.php' I get 'Status: 500 Internal Server Error

Content-type: text/html'

[/quote]

Never seen this, but would assume that php on your server would have 2 binaries, php (for apache and web browser requests) and php-cli (for command line instructions).

(Mfrost) #14

[quote]
On your server, php.ini needs to be setup with at least 64Mb of memory for Matrix to run.

Never seen this, but would assume that php on your server would have 2 binaries, php (for apache and web browser requests) and php-cli (for command line instructions).

[/quote]

I have set memory allocation for php from within whm to 196m and we still get

errorFatal error: Out of memory (allocated 3145728) (tried to allocate 30720 bytes)

it's just not seeing the memory allocated…

(Benjamin Pearson) #15

[quote]

errorFatal error: Out of memory (allocated 3145728) (tried to allocate 30720 bytes)

[/quote]

Running php in interactive should tell you what the server is set to:

bpearson@bpearson-desktop:~$ php -a
    Interactive shell

php > echo ini_get('memory_limit');
    php > 

This shows my desktop is set to no limit (hence the -1).

Somewhere your server is using a setting of 32Mb. Usually servers also have one configuration file for the web and one for the command line, please make sure both are set to at least 64Mb (you can go more if you have plenty of memory)

(Arekczer) #16

[quote]

[/quote]

Maybe on your system parameters for shared memory are to low?

Check what you have in shmall and shmmax.

regards

Arek

(Mfrost) #17

OK, we have managed to get the install steps to complete satisfactorily. We are now about to do the Create Apache Aliases part of the install manual. But my sys admin guy is now wondering if it's ok that we're attempting to install this under a Cpanel hosting account. He is now running into another problem, and from what he's reading on the forums, MSM isn't really meant to be installed under a shared hosting account, but rather a dedicated server OR a virtual private server (VPS). When I spoke to my Squiz contact last week to tell him I wanted to set up an eval instance on my server in a cpanel shared hosting account, he indicated this would be perfectly fine. This is why he sent me the installer after originally sending me the image file. So, was his response correct or are we sunk?

(Mfrost) #18

Well, it seems we are sunk from what I can tell. I suppose I wasn't clear enough in describing what I was trying to do. But it now seems clear that installing MSM within a CPanel account, regardless of the resources available, is not a doable thing. If you guys know any differently please let me know otherwise I think we will need to chock this one up to experience and kill the account and move on…

Oh, and thanks so much for trying to help me do this… next time we'll succeed!

(Mariner Peter) #19

[quote]
Well, it seems we are sunk from what I can tell. I suppose I wasn't clear enough in describing what I was trying to do. But it now seems clear that installing MSM within a CPanel account, regardless of the resources available, is not a doable thing. If you guys know any differently please let me know otherwise I think we will need to chock this one up to experience and kill the account and move on…

Oh, and thanks so much for trying to help me do this… next time we'll succeed!

[/quote]

I'd have to say attempting to get MSM running on a shared hosting platform is pretty brave! There's bound to be permission issues, PHP requirements and probably PEAR version / module issues as well. In addition, it's entirely likely that if you do actually succeed, even moderate load on the system will blow your shared CPU quota and get your account locked out for 5 or 10 minutes, as set by your web host.

Bottom line… shared hosting and enterprise solutions are pretty much mutually exclusive. :wink:

(Mfrost) #20

[quote]
I'd have to say attempting to get MSM running on a shared hosting platform is pretty brave! There's bound to be permission issues, PHP requirements and probably PEAR version / module issues as well. In addition, it's entirely likely that if you do actually succeed, even moderate load on the system will blow your shared CPU quota and get your account locked out for 5 or 10 minutes, as set by your web host.

Bottom line… shared hosting and enterprise solutions are pretty much mutually exclusive. :wink:

[/quote]

Yep, seems to be the case. I thought that, as it was my own server and I can allocate resources myself I might be able to at least set up a test area to get a feel for Matrix. But as we went through the install we ran into snag after snag owing to the Cpanel complexity. Trying to find a way to set this up but can't yet swing another whole server just to run a test on. I'm sure a solution shall avail itself…

E