Persona Documentation

(Keith Brown) #1

Hi Folks,

Keep seeing persona features released but cannot see any documentation ( Or am I just missing it?) on how to use them (what are we evaluating on the front / back end? for example)

Any idea when this will be added to manuals?

tia

K

(Bart Banda) #2

Hey Keith,
It’s not yet on the manuals, we have a little bit of a backlog adding some of the big stuff from 5.4 in there. Hopefully will be in there within the next week or 2.

Was there anything specific you wanted to know about?

(Keith Brown) #3

Hi

I’m ab out to start a project that brings in different content in a ‘portal’ that is personalised for different groups. This is possible to do with cookies / tagging / related asset listings etc BUT given there is the new persona personalisation feature I wanted to see if that was a more sensible way to do things.

I have no idea what it does really (or what benefits it might bring over the above) - details are a bit sketchy

K

(Bart Banda) #4

The short answer is that a Persona asset lets you store a set of conditional rules and evaluations of what makes a user actually fall under a Persona. It lets you do extensive keyword matching in groups, similar to the Keyword Group Trigger Condition: https://matrix.squiz.net/manuals/triggers/chapters/trigger-conditions#Keyword-Value-Group

That’s for when you want to do server side evaluation.

As you can see in the screenshot, you can also do client side evaluation, for when server side won’t work due to caching restrictions.

Client side makes the persona not evaluate server side (if unticked) and lets you do your own JS evaluation logic on the frontend. This applies when the Persona gets applied to a Variation.

Once you set a root node restriction on the persona, you can then, on the contents screen of standard pages under that root node, create what’s called Variations, which is basically multiple Page Contents versions of the SP, similar to how you have multiple page contents for things like custom forms or account managers.

Once you create a Variation, you can assign one or more personas to it and when the persona is evaluated as true, that Variation is shown instead of the Default one.

If the Persona is client side based, then the Variation content that is assigned to it will be printed inside a tag and you will need to write your own JS to do that logic of showing/hiding the right content.

Hope that helps a bit and points you in the right direction.

In an upcoming release we are adding more Persona keywords so that you can evaluate them against other areas like conditional keyword blocks and triggers which will make them even more flexible.

(Keith Brown) #5

thanks - explains it well

K

(Tim) #6

Hi all, I’m reviewing the persona functionality to see how it all works. So far looks really exciting.
Questions re creating page variations:

• is there a way to link to the variation of a page eg by appending the URL with something like: /?variation=1
  • Is there a way to impersonate a persona to test that they are seeing what we want them to see? (similar to how an admin can impersonate a user)
  • Does google index the variations?
    thanks