Please share your process for smooth Go-Lives

Often when I have a new page to go live there are a lot of changes spread out through the site. Some in Safe-edit, others Under Construction. It can be hard to keep track of everything, and I never know if I have scheduled everything I need to go live until after the go-live time and I check the site.

I try to keep notes of everything I’ve touched, but I still miss things.

Does anyone have any clever tips or processes for ensuring smooth go lives and keeping track of changes?

Is there a recommended Squiz way?

(Bart Banda) #2

Hey @moolric,
This is def something we are looking to improve in the product.

In the meantime, I’ve seen some users create custom dashboards/reports using things like asset listings and search pages that simply list your desired assets. For example, list everything that is under construction or safe edit and order by last updated date. You could print that in a table or other format and then have short-cuts to go and edit them directly in the admin/edit interface. Or, if you have developer skills, you could also add custom short-cut buttons using the JS API where you don’t even need to go into admin/edit mode to do the status change.

(Chris Horikx) #3

Yes it would be nice if there was some sort of display stack trace per permission level.

I have done a quick display page like that, but I should flesh it out some more.

I do have a dash that displays very specific assets and lets you edit some values and their status, which I can probably repurpose.

It would be great if there was a way to indicate if an asset was scheduled and when, or even be able to edit the schedule right there. I read up on it previously and found something saying I could display the scheduler’s shadow assets, but when I tried I got no results.

But, if you would like to make previewing more accurate - perhaps you could have a preview mode that only showed changes to approved and live assets, instead of all changes. Under construction would have to be able to be changed to approved though for it to work.