Server timeout when editing form

Matrix Version:5.3.4

We have a number of forms that have issues in editing it in Edit+ interface. When trying to navigate to Content screen (second tab) we got the following error. What’s the best way to debug what has caused this?

More information about the form, it has 4 text fields, 2 dropdown list (select field) and 1 checkbox.

One of the dropdown list has 33 options. I don’t know if this will trigger a red flag as potential issue causing this time out.

Using Developer Tool, I found the following error message when the script stopped working:

uncaught exception: Unable to parse serialised data

And after some debugging, it seems that it happens around this:

if (self.nonceToken) {
	data.push(['nonce_token', self.nonceToken]);
	self._http({
		params: data,
		onSuccess: function(json) {
			// Every function should have a dataCallback argument
			if (options.hasOwnProperty('dataCallback')) {
				options.dataCallback.call(this,json);
			}// end if
		}
	});
}

Unfortunately I can’t point out what has caused serialisation throws an exception. JSON data seems to be fine.

After some trial and error, I manage to load the Edit+ interface after cutting down the options of the long drop-down list from 33 to 6. Adding another option which makes it 7 will again break Edit+ interface.

Is there any known limitation on how many options we can have in <select> tag?

What are the values of the dropdown list? Does Edit+ break regardless of what the 7th value is?
If any of the values contain anything other than text https://squizmap.squiz.net/matrix/9543 could be related.

Hi Jason_Douglas, the values in the dropdown list are just letters and some with brackets () But I have tested and the brackets don’t make any difference.

Edit+ breaks regardless of the 7th value but I am sure we have dropdown list with more than 6 options in other forms. It seems a bit random to me.

(Bart Banda) #5

That seems strange indeed, there isn’t really a max value for select options. Might be some other bug in that version. Might be best to upgrade or send a support ticket into Squiz for them to have a look closer and potentially provide a patch.

Thanks @Bart. I have done that :slight_smile: