SOAP Server HTTP Authentication

(Nic Hubbard) #1

The manual briefly mentions that it uses HTTP Authentication to communicate with external systems (http://manuals.matrix.squizsuite.net/web-services/chapters/soap-server). It doesn't mention much more.

Is this on by default, because it doesn't seem like it is to me. I have tried changing all of the System Preferences for HTTP Auth and none of them will make accessing our SOAP Server show an HTTP Auth dialog box.

Am I missing something here?

(Nic Hubbard) #2

Anyone?

(Bart Banda) #3

Are you using SOAP on a matrix server to authenticate with some other Matrix server? Which server is not showing the login dialogue?

(Nic Hubbard) #4

Are you using SOAP on a matrix server to authenticate with some other Matrix server? Which server is not showing the login dialogue?

I am just wanting to protect the SOAP Server behind HTTP Authentication. Isn't that what the docs allude to?

This is actually for my Squiz Matrix app for iOS. I have a client who does not want the SOAP Server or WSDL file to be public.

(Bart Banda) #5

Have you enabled the right settings under the System Config? http://manuals.matrix.squizsuite.net/system-configuration/chapters/system-configuration#Login-Session-Settings

Not sure exactly what you would need, but I assume you would need at least  Enable HTTP Authentication to be set to Yes.

Does that help?

(Nic Hubbard) #6

Have you enabled the right settings under the System Config? http://manuals.matrix.squizsuite.net/system-configuration/chapters/system-configuration#Login-Session-Settings

Not sure exactly what you would need, but I assume you would need at least  Enable HTTP Authentication to be set to Yes.

Does that help?

I played with all of those settings and nothing worked. Turning them on, then adding USE_HTTP_LOGIN=1 to normal pages did work, but not with the SOAP Server. So, removing permissions for public user, then using USE_HTTP_LOGIN=1 on the URL just gave me a blank page. 

Was hoping for a standard HTTP Auth dialog. :(

(Bart Banda) #7

Hmm, just tested it on one of our systems, I get Auth box when trying to access both the URL of the webservice itself, and the WSDL files. And that's without using the USE_HTTP_LOGIN=1. With these settings:

Allow IP Change Yes

Process PHP Credentials Yes

Enable HTTP Authentication Yes

Accept HTTP Authentication No

HTTP Authentication Variable REMOTE_USER

Enable External Authentication Systems Yes

Use Default PHP session file save path False

Not sure if there is something else you would need to configure manually on the server/apache side of things :S

(Nic Hubbard) #8

Yeah, I tested that setup and I still get a blank screen with no Auth Dialog.

Do you have any login design applied? Would that matter?

(Nic Hubbard) #9

Strange. Tried it on another Matrix install of mine and it does correctly show the HTTP Auth dialog, even without those settings. So, looks like it does work, by default, which is great. 

Just not sure why it is working on one server and not another...

(Bart Banda) #10

Hmm, that is strange. Same version of Matrix as well? Maybe there are different Apache settings? And yea I just have the default ees login design applied.

(Nic Hubbard) #11

Hmm, that is strange. Same version of Matrix as well? Maybe there are different Apache settings? And yea I just have the default ees login design applied.

Yeah, they are different versions. I will try some other servers too, I think I have 6 or 7 I can try.

Thanks for your help!

(Bart Banda) #12

Cool, let us know if you find the cause!