Speeding things up with Nginx

(Rhulse) #1

I have done a blog post about using Nginx for serving static content.

There is a setting in Matrix that allows static content (__data) to be served from another domain. Our sysadmin ran a query on the DB to update old __data content to use the new URL once we changed over.

cheers,

Richard

(Anton Babushkin) #2

Nice read, maybe even something we can look into once we get things more stable under the hood.

It's great to see you guys placing such a great deal of emphasis on performance. Something I've definitely been doing more and more myself.

P.S. Whats the DB query that you guys used for this? =)

(Rhulse) #3

[quote]
Nice read, maybe even something we can look into once we get things more stable under the hood.

It's great to see you guys placing such a great deal of emphasis on performance. Something I've definitely been doing more and more myself.

P.S. Whats the DB query that you guys used for this? =)

[/quote]

I would have to ask our sysadmin. Any of the guys and Squiz would know if you have you system under an SLA.

(Dw Andrew) #4

Very interesting to see this, especially the cookie reduction. 10% is great. Do you run on a single box for matrix+squid? Did you purposely cut down the number of css files requested etc as well?

great work!

(Rhulse) #5

[quote]
Very interesting to see this, especially the cookie reduction. 10% is great. Do you run on a single box for matrix+squid? Did you purposely cut down the number of css files requested etc as well?

great work!

[/quote]

Same box at the moment, but we are looking to split things out, and using varnish instead of Squid. Still in the planning stages.

Yes we have only one CSS file, and the rules were carefully tweaked (although it has grown a bit lately) to keeps things small. I'll be doing some refactoring when the current round of content additions are done.

(Dw Andrew) #6

[quote]
Same box at the moment, but we are looking to split things out, and using varnish instead of Squid. Still in the planning stages.

Yes we have only one CSS file, and the rules were carefully tweaked (although it has grown a bit lately) to keeps things small. I'll be doing some refactoring when the current round of content additions are done.

[/quote]

Yeah there have been some good benchmark results with varnish, especially on reiser fs (or probably any fast fs). I'd like to try partition off a few gig as reiser4 and run squid from it, then compare that to varnish. Good luck!

(Rhulse) #7

[quote]
Yeah there have been some good benchmark results with varnish, especially on reiser fs (or probably any fast fs). I'd like to try partition off a few gig as reiser4 and run squid from it, then compare that to varnish. Good luck!

[/quote]

Resier is good with Squid too as it handles lots of small files well, I am told. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.