Upgrade over 5 releases in one step?

(K Dennis) #1

We are currently running V3.28.4.
We Intend to upgrade to V3.28.8 (or maybe 3.28.9)

Is it essential to upgrade to each of

V3.28.5, V3.28.6, V3.28.7, V3.28.8 and V3.28.9 step by step, installing all of that code with each step?

OR

Is it feasible to simply install only the final verson of the code (V3.28.9), and then run all of the scripts in turn, and in the order described in the various individual upgrade guides?

(Mitchell Essex) #2

Have you seen the Automatic Updates script, this can make life easier I have used it on a small install that I have at home.

In the past though I have upgraded as you suggested going for the release you want and running any/all sql as recommended by the upgrade steps.

Mitch

(Benjamin Pearson) #3

[quote]
We are currently running V3.28.4.

We Intend to upgrade to V3.28.8 (or maybe 3.28.9)

Is it essential to upgrade to each of

V3.28.5, V3.28.6, V3.28.7, V3.28.8 and V3.28.9 step by step, installing all of that code with each step?

OR

Is it feasible to simply install only the final verson of the code (V3.28.9), and then run all of the scripts in turn, and in the order described in the various individual upgrade guides?

[/quote]

If you group the pre-step instructions (for example, any database tables changes) and post-step instructions, and run them before and after the steps (step_2, step_3 and compile_locale), the upgrade can happen in one step. If you are not confident you can do this, running each upgrade individually is always the safest way to upgrade.

See: http://matrix.squiz.net/resources/upgrading for 3.28 upgrade steps.

(Peter Sheppard) #4

5 minor versions should be relatively simple, but test it first.

I've successfully managed to jump two major versions and a few minor ones on an upgrade in the past!